Chapter Forty Seven

Matt looked down at Gabby and smiled. "Are you glad we did this?" he asked, Gabby giggling. "No, not at all," Gabby replied sarcastically, Matt leaning down and kissing her, Gabby breaking the kiss. "We should really get out" "Cmon Gabby. I called into work so we can be together, not having to get out of bed all day" "We have a daughter remember?" Gabby asked as she slid out of bed, wrapping a bath robe around her body. Matt looked at the ceiling and nodded. "She's napping though," Matt said just as Olivia started to cry. "I'll be right back," Gabby replied as she walked out of the room, Matt sitting up in bed, scratching his head. "Hurry back," he called out after her as he swung his legs over the bed, getting up to use the bathroom.

Gabby walked into Olivia's room and looked over her crib, staring down at her face. Gabby smiled as she picked up her daughter, cradling her close. She heard the door open behind her and she turned around, Matt walking into the room and wrapping his arms his arms around her waist, nestling his face against her neck. "She looks like you," Gabby said, Matt chuckling. "Thank goodness. For a second there I thought there was another guy," Matt joked, Gabby rolling her eyes. "Only you," she replied kissing him, Olivia cooing. Matt pulled away from Gabby and looked at Olivia, sliding his finger into her hand. "Have you seen Violet? I haven't seen her all day," Matt asked as they walked back out of the bedroom, Matt closing the door. "She went over to Kelly's," Gabby said as she placed Olivia in a travel bassinet, Matt crossing his arms. "Let me guess... To see Max" "Matt, whatever grudge you're holding against that boy, you need to let it go"
"He likes my niece. I can't just magically take those feelings away from him" "Matthew! Are you even hearing yourself right now? Don't you remember how you felt when you were in love at twelve?" "Yes Gabriela I do! I was stupid! I knew it wouldn't last," Matt said running his hand through his hair, Gabby rolling her eyes. "So what you're trying to say is that your niece can never date?" "I didn't say that. I just don't want her to get hurt. If she starts dating now, it'll lead to something more and then next thing you know, your whole life is screwed," Matt replied, Gabby sighing. "I know, but you have to trust her to make her own decisions. She's a good girl Matt," Matt looked at Gabby, unsure of what to say. "Alright fine, you win. But if he try's to do anything stupid, that boys gonna lose a couple fingers," Matt replied making Gabby laugh. "So when Olivia brings home a boy..." "Nuh uh let me get through this one first," Matt said, Gabby hugging him. "You're such a good daddy," she said in a baby voice, Matt gently squeezing her. "Yeah yeah yeah I know"

"Why doesn't your uncle like me?" Max asked as he sat in a ice cream parlor with Violet, Kelly sitting a few tables away. "He likes you, it's just that he's afraid of me getting hurt," Violet replied as she licked her ice cream, Max sighing. "I would never hurt you," Max said, Violet looking up from her ice cream before smiling. "Really?" "Absolutely. Can I promise you something?" Max asked, Violet nodding her head. " I promise you that in a couple years from now we'll still be together, standing under that same Sycamore tree looking back at all the memories we're making now" Violet looked at Kelly to make sure he wasn't looking before leaning across the table, lightly pecking Max's lips. "I'm going to hold you to that," Violet replied being flirtatious, Max playing along. Kelly looked up from his phone and looked at them, Max's cheeks a bright red. Kelly sighed before standing up and walking over to their table, placing his hands down. "What's going on over here?" Kelly asked looking at them both, Violet shrugging. "We're just talking" "About what?" Max looked at Violet before looking at Kelly. "Promises," Max replied, Violet nodding her head. "Alright well can you guys hurry up? I have to be on shift in an hour" Max nodded his head and stood up, Violet doing the same. "We can do this again sometime," Violet said smiling, Max nodding his head. "I look forward to it," he replied as they got into Kelly's car, driving away from the parlor.

Matt walked into the firehouse, running into Herrmann on the way to the locker room. "How was your honeymoon Lieutenant? Was Gabby trying to replace the run away bride?" Herrmann asked while laughing, Matt rolling his eyes. "Herrmann, if I can remember correctly... Wasn't Cindy the one having second thoughts on marrying you?" Matt asked, everyone around them betting on who would win the argument. "Casey, Severide, can I see you in my office?" Chief asked as he walked out holding a clipboard, Matt looking at Kelly before they followed Chief to his office, Kelly closing the door behind them. "What's going on Chief?" Matt asked as he crossed his arms, leaning up against the wall. "The Union Rep just called," Chief said, both Matt and Kelly nodding their heads. "Okay, so?" Kelly asked sounding confused. "Casey, I've put in a request for you to be Chief once I'm retired," Chief said, Matt's eyes going wide. "Wait, when?" "Two months," Chief replied, Kelly scratching the back of his head. "Why am I in here?" Kelly asked, Chief sighing. "They also called about Dawson and Brett. Will they be back at work anytime soon?" Chief asked, Matt nodding his head. "Gabby will be back on Ambo next shift," Matt said, Kelly shrugging. "I honestly have no idea where Sylvie's head is at right now," Kelly replied, both of the men chuckling. "Well once you see what's going on, can you get back to me with her answer?" Chief asked, Kelly nodding his head. "Yes sir," Kelly replied just as the alarm went off. "Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambo 61 House Fire 1775 Ezio Court" Kelly looked up when he heard the address. "I know where that is," Kelly said as they quickly walked to the trucks, Matt sliding on his gear. "Where is it?" "It's my sisters house. Katie decided to move back to Chicago earlier this month," Kelly replied as he hopped into the Squad truck, quickly driving away to the scene.

"Fire department call out!" yelled Kelly as he swept his hand all over the house, everyone finding nothing. "Chief nobody's in here, we're pulling out," Kelly reported over the radio not realizing Katie's hand slowly reaching out for his foot, Kelly walking away. As Kelly quickly walked out of the house, they heard their radios go off. "Chief!" Matt yelled through the radio as he walked into a room seeing Katie sprawled out on the floor. "I got someone," Matt said as he picked up Katie's body, Kelly watching in fear as Matt walked out of the house placing Katie onto the gurney. "Her stats are dropping. Let's move her," Choute said as he rolled the gurney into the back, Kelly taking off his gear. "I'm coming," he said as he took off his fire hat, it dropping to the ground as he got into the back, the driver slamming the doors before driving away, everyone hanging their heads in sadness.

Back at the firehouse everyone walked into the kitchen, Gabby and Sylvie sitting at one of the tables, Olivia and Peyton in their arms. "Hey baby," Gabby said as Matt walked over, bending down and kissing her. "Hey," Matt mumbled, sweat dripping from his brow. "Where's Kelly?" Sylvie then asked once everyone was inside the firehouse, Matt running his hand through his hair nervously.
"His sister Katie... She's on her way to the hospital," Matt said, Sylvie's eyes going wide. "What happened?" Matt closed his eyes, remembering what happened moments earlier. "She was pretty burned. Kelly missed her during the primary search, but I found her hopefully in time," Matt replied, tears falling out the corner of Sylvie's eyes. "This has me worried, because knowing Kelly, he doesn't handle things easily and if she doesn't make it, this will destroy him," Sylvie said, Matt sighing. "We just have to have hope," Matt replied squeezing Sylvie's shoulder before walking away to the showers, Gabby following him. Matt stopped and turned around, Gabby walking up to him and kissing him, Olivia asleep in her arms. "I need a shower," Gabby said raising an eyebrow, Matt smirking. "You can't," Matt replied pointing down to Olivia, Mouch walking past them. "Mouch, have you seen Lilly?" "No why?" "Great, you're on baby duty," Gabby said handing Olivia to Mouch. "Guys I've never taken care of a baby before..." "Ask Herrmann to help you. He's an expert," Matt replied sliding his hand into Gabby's, walking away to the showers.
Gabby watched as Matt slid off his shirt, turning on the water. "Agh babe. You're getting old," Gabby said as she poked Matt's stomach, Matt rolling his eyes. "What?! It's all still here," he replied playfully smacking his abs, Gabby blushing. "How do you think Kelly's holding up?" Gabby then asked as they stepped into the shower, Matt closing the curtain. "Katie will make it. She's a tough girl," Matt replied as he drew Gabby close, their bodies touching. Gabby then placed her head on Matt's chest as they swayed back and forth, Matt wrapping his arms around her back. "I love you," Matt then whispered, Gabby smiling. "I love you more" "That's impossible, because I love you most," Matt replied looking at Gabby before kissing her passionately, someone suddenly standing outside the shower curtain. "Matt, are you in there?" Mills asked. "Yeah why?" "It's Katie... Shes gonna make it," Mills said, Matt smiling, Gabby doing the same. "Thank you Mills," Matt replied making him walk away, Matt snuggling Gabby close. "I told you she'd make it," Matt said before he let Gabby peck his lips, the warm water rushing in the cracks of their bodies as Matt held her tight, stroking her hair. "Im so relieved for Kelly," Gabby then said, Matt nodding his head in agreement. "So am I, but all we should be thinking about right now is each other. We also need to be there for him You've done that for me a million times, and now it's my turn," Matt said as he leaned down and kissed Gabby's lips, running his hands down to her hips.

Kelly slowly walked out of Chicago Med, his eyes red from crying. He clenched his fist as he walked towards the Squad truck waiting for him outside. When he hopped in, he angrily slammed the door shut, a tear sliding down his face. "Are you okay Lieutenant?" "Just shut up and drive," Kelly replied harshly, Tony nodding his head, driving back to the firehouse. Kelly looked out the window as they drove past buildings, staring at the happy faces of pedestrians, the sun shining down on Chicago. He felt his heart suddenly shatter, dark clouds forming in the horizon. Kelly breathed heavily as Tony pulled into the driveway of the firehouse, Kelly hopping out and running inside, noticing Sylvie. He walked over to her and placed his hands on her face, pulling her into a kiss. Sylvie didn't break away until Peyton started to cry. "Why do bad things happen to me?" Kelly asked, Sylvie sniffling. "I don't know baby. Think about what Herrmann tells us all the time. There's two different types of fire... The darkest fire, and the brightest fire. Usually people will find themselves standing in the darkest fire for a short while before realizing that at the end of all this pain and suffering, there will be a brighter fire, brighter than we can imagine"