Chapter Twenty

**2 Weeks Later**
"Hey Chief I'm gonna duck out for a half an hour. Have to run an important errand" Dawson said as she stood in front of Chiefs desk, Chief nodding. "Alright, but take Brett with you and keep your radios on at all times... Half hour Dawson" he said, Gabby nodding and walking out, grabbing Sylvie. "We're gonna take a ride" she told her, Sylvie looking at her. "Where're we going?" Sylvie asked as she sat in the passengers seat of the Ambo, Gabby hopping into the drivers seat. "To the pharmacy" Gabby said as she felt a sharp pain come from her stomach, Gabby gripping it. "You're pregnant aren't you?!" Sylvie exclaimed, Gabby shrugging. "Matt and I may have done it about two weeks ago, and ever since then I've been feeling sick" Gabby told her as she drove down a main road. Sylvie then clapped her hands and stomped her feet. "OH MY GOSH! You MUST be pregnant!" "We'll see" Gabby replied as they reached the pharmacy, Gabby parking the Ambo. "I'll be right back" Gabby said as she walked into the pharmacy, grabbing two pregnancy test and crackers. She walked up to the register checked out, handing the money over and walking out to the Ambo, letting out a big sigh. "Are you worried?" Sylvie asked, Gabby nodding. "Uh yeah Sylvie why wouldn't I be?! I lost a baby 3 months ago!" Gabby exclaimed, Sylvie nodding. "Good point, but I'm telling yah... You're going to be just fine..." "What will Matt think?! Are we REALLY ready for a baby?!" Gabby asked questioning herself, Sylvie placing a hand on Gabby's shoulder. "Matt will be excited.... Look at me and Kelly. We weren't ready for a baby, but somehow everything turned out just fine" Sylvie assured her, Gabby starting the engine. "I hope so.... Part of me is wanting the test to show up positive and another part of me is wanting it to be negative" Gabby said. "Why would you want it to be negative?" Sylvie asked. "I don't think I'm ready" Gabby replied as she drove back to the firehouse, Sylvie rolling her eyes. "Gabby, you guys are more than ready.... Trust me"
_________________________
"Have any of you guys seen Sylvie?" Matt asked as he walked out into the common room area, everyone shaking their head. "Shouldn't you be asking for Dawson, or did you move on from her to?" Mills joked around, everyone laughing. "She went with Dawson for a ride... They've been gone for fifteen minutes" Hermann said, Matt nodding. "Thank you, that's all I needed to know. Kelly called asking about her since she hasn't picked up her phone" Matt told them, walking back to his office. "Did you hear anything?" Kelly asked over the phone. "Yeah, she went to run an errand with Gabby. Her phone must be dead" Matt replied as he saw the Ambo turn a corner out the window, pulling up to the firehouse. "Hey their back now so I'll call you later" Matt said, Kelly sighing. "Alright tell Sylvie to call me when she gets a chance" Kelly replied ending the call, Matt walking out to the apparatus floor. "Hey babe! Where'd you guys go?" Matt asked as he hugged Gabby, Sylvie standing to the side of them. "We went to the pharmacy..." Sylvie started, Matt cutting in. "Is everything okay?" he asked, Gabby shrugging. "Matt...." Matt stared at her, crossing his arms. "I think I might be pregnant...." Gabby said, Matts eyes going wide. "Really?!" he exclaimed, Sylvie smiling. "Yep, I'm about to find out right now!" Gabby said waving the bag in the air, Matt grinning. "Well what're you waiting for. Go and take that test girl!" Matt said tapping her back side as they walked away, Sylvie smiling. "See what'd I tell yah?! Told you he'd be excited" Sylvie said, making Gabby smile. "Yeah... Alright..." Gabby said as she stood outside the bathroom door, Sylvie smiling. "Here goes nothing" Gabby said as she walked in, locking the door behind her.
________________________
"Hey Casey!" Sylvie called out as she stood outside the bathroom door, Matt walking over. "Any news yet?" he asked but before Sylvie could answer, the bells went off. *TRUCK 81, SQUAD 3, AMBO 61 RESTAURANT FIRE 573 DARYLL PARKWAY* the dispatcher said, making everyone run to their trucks in unison. Gabby heard the call over the speakers and tapped her feet. "Hurry up.... Hurry up Gabby" she told herself standing up, placing the test on the counter. She then flushed the toilet and wiped her hands, swinging open the door. 'I'll check on that after...' she thought to herself, running to the Ambo and hopping in, Sylvie driving away.
"So.... How'd it go?" Sylvie asked, Gabby shrugging. "It was easy, but now the hard part is waiting" she replied, Sylvie nodding. "So what happened... That night?" Sylvie asked, Gabby laughing. "What's with all the questions?!" Gabby asked, Sylvie laughing. "I'm sorry I'm just so excited! I may be becoming an aunt!" Sylvie replied, Gabby glaring at her. Sylvie noticed and looked at her quickly. "What'd I say wrong?" she asked, Gabby shaking her head. "Don't jinx it" Gabby replied.
Casey hopped down from the Truck and walked over to a bunch of people who stood at the edge of the sidewalk. "How did the fire start?" Casey asked, a middle aged woman stepping forward. "We don't know! I think the boiler was left on for too long!!" she cried. "Is anyone else in the building?" Casey then asked, the woman shrugging her shoulders. "I'm not sure! I got everyone I could reach out. The smoke got to much to bare" the woman replied, Casey nodding and walking over to Chief. "Chief, we need to complete a primary search. The owner doesn't know if everyone got out" Casey reported, Chief nodded. "Alright, you boys know what to do. Suit up, and get in there, but when I say bail out you bail out" Chief told them, Casey sliding on his gas mask and looking at Gabby before running in, the building suddenly flashing. "CASEY CALL OUT!!!" Chief yelled, all of them suddenly hearing the noise box that let them know a firefighter was down. 'Oh gosh no Matt... Cmon baby don't do this' Gabby thought to herself as she prepared the gurney, Sylvie grabbing out supplies. Hermann, Mills, and Mouch ran into the building and about three minutes later they ran back out, carrying Casey in their arms. "Oh gosh" Gabby said loudly as they placed him on the gurney, Gabby feeling for a pulse. "He has a pulse, barely" Gabby said trying not to cry, rolling him quickly onto the Ambo. Sylvie then shut the doors and jumped into the drivers seat and drove away to Chicago Med.
"DANG IT CMON MATT BABY NOT LIKE THIS!" Gabby said as she applied pressure to an open wound on Matts head, blood spilling everywhere. Suddenly the monitor started to beep. Gabby looking at it terrified. "SYLVIE HES GOING INTO V FIB! PUSHING IN MORE MORPHINE!" Gabby yelled out sticking Matt with the needle, his stats suddenly returning to normal. Gabby could state the obvious of what was wrong with him. His head took another blow, a blow that once again will land him in a hospital bed. Sylvie pulled up to the hospital and quickly swung open the back doors, helping Gabby roll Matt down the ramp, a doctor and 3 nurses rushing to them. "Male 30, Head injury. Has had a prior head injury that led to surgery and a fractured skull. Crashed once on the way here" Gabby said as she let the doctor and nurses take over, nauseousness suddenly swamping over her. "Hey he'll be okay" Sylvie reassured her, Gabby nodding and placing her hand on the counter, breathing in and out. "Are you okay? You're as white as a ghost" Sylvie stated, Gabby looking at her. "Yeah. I'm just.... I don't know. I want to get out of here" Gabby said, Sylvie looking at her with her eyes wide. "Gabby you can't leave now! Your fiancé is in there right now..." "Sylvie, I want to go" Gabby said tears streaming down her face, Sylvie nodding. "Okay let's go" Sylvie said walking back out to the Ambo just as Chief arrived in his buggy. "Where're you headed Dawson?" he asked as he got out, Gabby sighing. "Why does everyone keep asking me that?!" she said hopping into the Ambo, closing the door. Chief stared at Sylvie who shrugged. "I'm going to bring her back to the house" "What about Casey?" "We'll be back later" Sylvie responded hopping in, driving away.
"Gabby..." "Sylvie I don't feel like talking right now" Gabby said as she placed her face into her hands, warm tears falling from her eyes. "Okay, I understand" Sylvie said. She's seen her friend at her worst, and this was one of the worst moments. "If that test is negative I swear it's like my life is cursed" Gabby suddenly said as Sylvie pulled up into the firehouse, turning off the engine. "Gabriela Dawson...." Sylvie said, Gabby looking at her. "You coming?" Gabby asked as she got out, Sylvie following after her. "Yeah of course" she said as they walked into the firehouse making a beeline to the bathroom. Gabby walked over to the stall and opened it, eyeing the test. "You ready?" Sylvie asked as she walked closer, Gabby nodding. "Alright here we go" Gabby said as she picked up the test staring at it. "Oh my gosh"
_________________________
"Family of Matthew Casey?" asked a nurse as everyone from firehouse 51 sat in the waiting room, Gabby standing up. "Yes?" "Matthew has fractured his skull again, and he is experiencing blood swelling to the brain. We performed surgery to help keep the blood swelling down for now. He's also in a medically induced coma. We don't know when he could wake up. It could be in the matter of minutes or in the matter of weeks" the nurse said, Gabby nodding. "Can I see him?" Gabby asked, the nurse nodding. "Sure of course! He's in room 102" Gabby then looked at everyone who gave her an approving nod before she walked quickly down the hallway to Matts room, opening the door. Gabby quickly placed her hand over her mouth to keep from sobbing, and she sat next to him. He laid in the bed pale as a ghost, his head wrapped in gauze. All Gabby could see were his eyes, which were closed, and his nose and mouth. She then leaned over and kissed his lips lightly in hope of him waking up, but not a part of him budged. She sat back down and held his hand, tears trickling down her face. "Matt...." she started, looking around the room. "I don't know if you can hear me or not but I need you to wake up" she said. "I need you now more than ever. WE need you more than ever" Gabby said placing her hand on her stomach where a little bulge was starting to form. "Matt... I'm pregnant. You're going to be a dad"