Chapter Thirty Two

"Male, 12, Involved in a school fight. He was the victim. Seized at the scene, and was given Motrin" Choute reported to the doctors as they rolled into Chicago Med, everyone from Firehouse 51 still waiting in the waiting room. "Thanks guys we got it from here" Doctor Kendra said as she took the gurney and rolled away, Sylvie walking back into the ER, holding a picture in her hand. "Hey how'd it go?" Gabby asked quietly, making sure no one could hear them. "Follow me and I'll tell you" she said entering the elevator, Gabby following her as they walked into Kellys room, Kelly smiling. "Hey babe! Hey Dawson!" he exclaimed as he kissed Sylvie, Gabby leaning down, giving her friend a hug. "How're you feeling?" Gabby asked as Hermann walked into the room holding Alexa, who had her head rested on his shoulder, eyes closed. Sylvie saw this and smiled, quickly moving out the way so Hermann could sit on the couch holding Alexa, letting her sleep. "Thank you so much Hermann" Sylvie said, Hermann smiling. "Eh no problem kid. She's kinda grown on me" Hermann replied rubbing Alexa's back, Kelly smiling. "I'm feeling a whole lot better since the doctor gave me pain meds. How's Matt doing?" Kelly asked, Gabby shrugging. "He's... Not doing so well. Christys dead" Gabby said as a tear fell from the corner of her eye, Kellys face gone pale. "Oh man... I'm so sorry" he said, Gabby nodding her head. "How'd your appointment go?" Kelly then asked looking at Sylvie, trying to start a conversation. "Everything's good with the baby, and speaking of the baby" Sylvie said as she handed Kelly the photo, happy tears forming in the corner of his eyes. "Is this? Is that? Wow...." he said amazed running his finger over the little speck, a tear falling down his cheek. "It looks like a little person already. How far along are you?" "Almost 7 weeks" "Can I see?" Gabby asked, Kelly nodding and handing Gabby the photo, Gabby smiling. "Wow, this is amazing. I remember when I first showed Matt the first photo of Andy..." Gabby suddenly said pausing, Sylvie placing a hand on her back. "You'll get to do that all again. Didn't you make an appointment?" "SYLVIE!" "Don't worry kid I already know" Hermann said smiling, Gabby chuckling shyly. "You heard huh?" Gabby asked, Hermann nodding. "I just knew Matt couldn't stay away from you" Gabby's cheeks flashed red, causing everyone in the room to laugh. "I'll remember to tell him that Hermann..." Gabby said raising an eyebrow, Hermann staring at her afraid. "You have no idea what I'm capable of" "Oh yes I do. I've talked to Antonio, and I've heard stories" Hermann replied, Gabby rolling her eyes.
_________________________
"Matthew Casey?" asked a nurse as she walked in holding a clipboard, Matt sitting up in his bed. "That's me" he replied, the nurse walking towards him, sitting in the chair nearest to his bed. "I see here that you are a relative to Violet Jordan?" "I am. I'm her uncle" Matt said raising an eyebrow, the nurse nodding. "Well, your niece is awake and is asking for her mother but since she's deceased...." "Yeah I know get to the point already" Matt said harshly, the nurse gulping. "I came to get you, so let me get you a wheelchair and..." "I'm fine to walk on my own" Matt replied turning around to the side of his bed, sliding on his shoes before standing up, pain lingering in his back. The nurse saw this and rolled her eyes. "Sir, sit down. I'm getting you a wheelchair and besides, it's standard procedure" she said walking out the room, Matt slowly sitting back down on his bed rubbing his back. He looked around and sighed, wishing Gabby was there with him and before he could think something else, he felt a hand on his shoulder, an arm suddenly wrapping around his neck, a face so close to his he could feel her breathing. Matt smiled and placed his hand on Gabby's, knowing it was her. "Hey" Matt said as he slowly turned around looking at Gabby, Gabby leaning in and kissing him, both of them hearing a knock on the door. "Sorry to interrupt but Mr. Casey, I got your wheelchair" the nurse said walking into the room, pushing the wheelchair. Matt then stood up and gritted his teeth, sitting down on the chair slowly. "Where're you going?" Gabby asked as the nurse rolled past her, Matt looking back at her. "Violets room, cmon" Matt told her, Gabby following them to the end of the hall, walking through two double doors.
When they entered the hallway they were amazed at all the colors they saw. Child friendly stickers were plastered all over the walls, making all the children that walked through those doors use their imagination. The nurse stopped at the end of the hall and rolled Matt into a room, Gabby following. "Gabby!!!" Violet exclaimed weakly as she sat up, trying to get out of bed. "Oh no no sweetie stay there I'm coming to you" Gabby said walking over, leaning down and giving Violet a hug, Matt smiling. "Hey Uncle Matt. Thanks for saving me" Violet said smiling, Matt winking at her. "Anytime kid anytime" Matt replied placing his hand over Violets, Gabby wrapping her arm around Casey's shoulders. "So, where's my mom?" Violet asked, Matt looking up to the nurse. "I'll leave you guys alone for a minute" the nurse said leaving the room, Gabby rubbing Matts back. "Vi" he said, Violet staring at him with her eyes wide, tears starting to form. "Your mom.... She's gone" Matt said, a tear sliding down his cheek. "NO SHES NOT YOURE LYING!!!" Violet screamed, her face turning red, many tears streaming down her face. "Hey hey hey" Gabby said as she sat next to Violet on the hospital bed, holding her close, Violet crying into her chest. "Everything's gonna be okay" "NO, ITS NOT OKAY!!! HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?!" Violet sobbed, Matts heart breaking.
"Hey, Vi..." Matt said rubbing her hand, Violet looking up at him with her big brown eyes, Matt giving a weak smile. "You know how me and Gabby are back together?" he asked, Violet nodding. "Well..." Matt said looking at Gabby, Gabby nodding her head, placing her hand on her stomach. "I'm pregnant" "YOU ARE?!" Violet squealed, her sadness quickly turning into happiness, Gabby smiling at the sight. "Yeah and guess what?" "What?" "You're gonna come live with us" Matt replied, Violet grinning at the idea, but suddenly her smile grew into a frown. "I miss my mom" Violet said sobbing again into Gabby's chest, Matt rubbing her hand. "I know Vi. Im gonna miss her too"
_________________________
*TRUCK 81, SQUAD 3, AMBO 61 STRUCTURE FIRE 32 BAYMAX* the dispatcher announced, everyone running to the trucks in unison. "Gabby!!!" Matt called out making Gabby turn around. "Be careful" he said, Gabby smiling and nodding. "You too" Gabby replied winking, Matts heart fluttering within his chest. It was his first shift back at work since the accident a week ago, and he was glad to be back. Hermann was siting in the Lieutenant spot and Casey looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "Just what do you think you're doing?" Casey asked, Hermann shrugging. "I'm acting as in Lieutenant right now "Get your butt in the back man" Casey said annoyed, Hermann nodding before jumping out the truck, allowing Casey to sit down in his spot, Hermann jumping into the back. "Alright Cruz step on it. I don't feel like losing anymore lives this week" Casey said placing his head onto his hand, staring out the window. "Are you alright Lieutenant?" Cruz asked, Casey shrugging. "I'll be fine" he replied back, Hermann shaking his head in the back. Casey caught this out the corner of his eye and turned around, looking at Hermann. "You got something to say Hermann?!" Casey asked harshly, Hermann nodding. "Yeah I do..." he said cracking his knuckles, stretching out his palms. "Spit it out already" Casey said, Hermann sighing. "Lieutenant, we all know this past week has been hard for you" "So?" "I just want you to know, if you need anybody other than Dawson to talk to, I'm here. We're all here for you" Hermann said sounding sincere, Matt sighing. "I'm fine Hermann.... Really... I just got to keep my mind off the subject" "LIEUTENANT THAT AINT GONNA WORK" Hermann said raising his voice, Casey looking at him surprised. "YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND HERMANN" "CASEY!!! IVE HAD MANY PEOPLE WHO I LOVED DIE IN MY LIFE. IM TELLING YOU THIS RIGHT NOW, DONT JUST SIT AROUND HIDING UNDER A DARK CLOUD WISHING THINGS WERE DIFFERENT. GO OUT AND BE HAPPY" "HERMANN, HOW CAN I GO OUT WITH MY FRIENDS AFTER MY SISTER JUST DIED?! I CANT JUST GO AROUND GIVING EVERYONE FAKE SMILES WHILE IM GRIEVING" "Well sometimes kid...." Hermann said calmly, Matt staring at him, his eyes red. "You have to fake it till you make it. You got to believe things will get better, and you just have to hold onto that"