Chapter Twenty Seven

*2 Weeks Later*
Gabby hopped out of bed and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her waking up Matt. Matt sat up quickly and looked at the empty bed next to him, and he sighed. He threw his legs over the side of the bed and stood up, scratching his head and wearily walked over to the bathroom door tapping on it. "Gabby?" he asked, not getting an answer. When he was about to open the door he heard Gabby's voice inside. "I'm okay. Just not feeling to hot" she said, Matt nodding. "You want some crackers?" he offered, waiting for a response. "Please" she told him, Matt walking into the kitchen and opening the box of crackers just as there was a knock on the door. He looked at the clock and looked back at the door confused, it was only 7 in the morning. He walked slowly to the door and looked through the peek hole, seeing his mother standing there.
Matt quickly opened the door and stared at his mothers face, his mother giving a weak smile. "Matthew...." she said, Matt staring at her, Matt tapping his foot, not saying a word. "Well aren't you going to invite me in?" "Why should I?" Matt responded back harshly, his mothers eyes going wide. "You've gotten into shape" she responded pointing to his abs, Matt looking down, realizing he was shirtless. "What do you want?" he asked walking away from the door, his mother stepping in and closing it behind her, Matt walking to the couch and grabbing a clean white t-shirt, throwing it on his body, spotting Gabby's crackers sitting on the counter. "Uh, I'll be right back" Matt said to his mom as he grabbed the crackers and walked into the bedroom closing the door, his mother walking around and looking at pictures.
"Hey, what took you so long?" Gabby asked as she took the crackers out of his hands, Matt looking back out, Gabby noticing how fidgety he was being. "Sorry, I got a little... Held up" he said leaving her alone, Gabby watching him go. "Matt...." she called out, Matt ignoring her and walking out the bedroom, closing the door behind him. "What're you doing?" Matt asked as he looked at his mother who stood holding a frame in her hand, showing it to Matt. "Who's she?" she asked, pointing to Gabby's face in the picture. "That's my fiancé" "What happened with Hallie?" "Ruby, she died" Matt told her, Ruby setting down the frame and nodding, suddenly seeing one of Andy's onesies on the couch, the one Gabby forgot to put away. "Who does this belong to?" Ruby asked picking it up, Matt snatching it quickly out of her hands, throwing it into a dirty hamper. "Don't worry about it" "Matthew why are you treating me SO wrong?!" Ruby exclaimed, Gabby walking out. "HOW COULD I TREAT YOU WITH RESPECT?! I HAVE NO REASON TO TREAT YOU WITH RESPECT!" "IM YOUR MOTHER" "YOU KILLED DAD!!! ILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT" Matt then yelled, Gabby jumping back, placing her hand on the door knob twisting it, Matt hearing her. "Gabby!" he exclaimed when he turned around, Gabby giving a weak smile. "Am I interrupting something?" she asked, Matt shaking his head. "No, not at all" he said walking up to her, wrapping his arm around her. "Ruby, this is Gabby" Matt said lowly, Ruby nodding her head. "Nice to meet you" Ruby said, Matt staring at her, evil flashing in his eyes. "We have to get ready for shift so Ruby if you don't mind, we would like for you to go now" Matt said, Gabby looking at him. "Matt..." "Gabby.... Stop" Matt told her, Gabby moving Matts arms off of her shoulder and she walked into the bedroom, slamming the door.
"She's a keeper" Ruby said aloud, Matt turning and looking to her, shaking his head. "Go" he said pointing towards the door, Ruby looking at the door and back at Matt. "You're kicking your own mother out?" "Leave...NOW" he then yelled, Ruby picking up her purse and she nodded her head, opening the door and closing it behind her, Matt sighing.
_________________________
"KELLY!!!" Sylvie yelled, Kelly walking out from around the corner, glaring at her. "WHAT?!" he yelled back, Sylvie rolling her eyes. "Why didn't you take out the trash last night?! I told you to do it last night!!! Now the whole house is going to smell!" "Sylvie I was working!!!" Kelly replied, Sylvie throwing her hands up in frustration. Kelly noticed this and sighed, walking up to her and wrapping his arms around her, giving her a big hug. Sylvie nestled her head into his chest, Kelly rubbing her back. "I'm sorry" he replied, Sylvie nodding and pulling back, kissing his lips lightly. "You gotta get to shift" she told him, Kelly shrugging. "Work can wait" "Kelly, you know it can't" she said picking up Alexa's monitor, staring at the screen. "Look at her" Sylvie then said showing Kelly the screen, Kelly smiling. "I know... We make cute kids" Kelly replied putting his hand on Sylvie's stomach, Sylvie's cheeks flashing red. Kelly saw this and started laughing. "Well why don't you look at that! That's a rare sighting" he laughed, Sylvie rolling her eyes. "Wait what're you still doing here?! Go get ready for work" "You have to too!!!" "No I'm out for another week remember?" Sylvie exclaimed, Kelly sighing. "Work isn't fun when you're not around" he said, Sylvie smiling. "I'll be back before you know it" she said kissing him, Kelly then bending down and kissing her stomach, giving her the chills. "Bye little one" he whispered, looking back up at Sylvie and winking at her before he walked into their bedroom and got dressed and before Sylvie could take out the trash, Alexa started to cry. "I'm coming baby girl I'm coming" Sylvie said as she walked to Alexa's room, silently opening the door.
________________________
Gabby looked at Matt as they drove to work, Matt sitting in the drivers seat. Matt felt Gabby's eyes staring at him so he quickly looked at her and shrugged. "What?" he asked as they pulled up to a red light, Gabby shaking her head. "Nothing...." she said as she placed a hand on her stomach. "Gabby, you gotta tell me when something's wrong" "Nothing's wrong Matt... The baby and I are fine. My question is... Are you?" Matt stared at her and sighed then looked at the light which turned green. He pulled away and turned onto the main road. "I'm fine" "Baby the way you were acting this morning looked far from fine" Gabby replied, Matt rolling his eyes. He pulled up to the firehouse and parked the car, taking the keys out of the ignition. "Matt...." "Gabby, I'm fine. It's just how can she just show up out of the blue after 11 years and act like everything's fine?! She MURDERED my dad" Matt suddenly said, tears running down his face. Gabby unbuckled her seatbelt and turning towards Matt, running her hand through his hair. Matt stared in her eyes and Gabby placed her forehead against his, Matt breathing heavily. "It's not your fault, and you know that" "If I didn't leave those keys on the counter, he'd still be alive. I'm such an idiot" "Matt baby, no you're not. It was your mothers decision to go down there to do that. Don't you EVER blame yourself" she told him, Matt nodding and pulling away, kissing Gabby's lips lightly. "I don't know where I'd be without you" Matt said, Gabby staring into his eyes and grabbing ahold of jacket, kissing him again. "That's something you'll never have to face. I'm not going anywhere" Matt then moved in and kissed Gabby passionately, and when they pulled back they noticed many minutes have passed. "Oh man we gotta get going" Matt exclaimed getting out of the car, Gabby getting out the other side. Before Matt could run off, Gabby called out his name. "Matt!!!" she shouted, Matt turning around and he waited for her to reach him, and when Gabby did she pulled him close again and pecked his lips, Matt blushing. "Be careful" she told him, Matt nodding as he watched her leave, licking his lips. "Yes ma'am" he replied in a flirty voice, walking into the firehouse.
Matt walked into the locker room and placed his gym bag on the bench. He was unlocking his locker when Kelly walked in, patting Matt on the back. Matt turned around quickly and sighed, Kelly laughing. "Hey, what's going on man?" Kelly asked noticing Matt was seeming very fidgety. "I had a rough morning" "Is that why you and Dawson are late?" Kelly asked, Matt rolling his eyes. "No... I don't wanna talk about it" Matt said taking off his shirt and throwing on his work shirt, Kelly sighing. "Well, I'm here if you want to talk about it" Kelly said while walking away, Matt stopping him. "Kelly, wait" he said, Kelly stopping and turning around, walking back over to Matt, sitting on the bench. "Yeah?" "How's Alexa?" "She's great! I can't believe she'll be turning two! You guys are coming to the party right?" Kelly asked, Matt nodding. "Wouldn't miss it for the world" he replied just as the bells went off. *TRUCK 81, SQUAD 3, AMBO 61 TOXIC LEAK 54TH ANTHEM ROAD* the dispatcher announced, making everyone run to the trucks in unison.
While working Ambo, Gabby was working along side of Ron McCaughly, the fill in paramedic for Sylvie. Gabby stayed quiet until Ron spoke up. "So... When's your paramedic friend getting back on Ambo? Heard she has an awful flu" Ron said, Gabby looking at him. "She was shot" Gabby replied back harshly, Ron rolled his eyes. "It's always the blonde ones...." "WHATD YOU JUST SAY?!" Gabby suddenly yelled, trying not to kill Ron. "Easy there tiger. You remember your friend Leslie Shay??? She was definitely a catch. It seems to me that blondes are too dumb and are the ones always getting hurt" Gabby clenched her fist and looked at the side of Rons face, gritting her teeth. "You know what McCaughly? You're a pain in my backside. Both Shay and Brett are better paramedics then you will ever be. Now will you stop acting as if you have a stick stuck up your butt and not talk to me!!!" Gabby yelled, Ron taking a glance at her, gripping the steering wheel. "Wow, Choute was right. You do have a nasty attitude" "THATS IT!!!" Gabby yelled as Ron pulled up to the leak, stopping the Ambo. Gabby jumped out of the Ambo and grabbed a gurney, her blood boiling with anger. Matt saw this and walked over to her. "Are you okay?" he asked, Gabby gritting her teeth. "Will you stop talking to me and focus on getting the victims?!" she asked lowly, Matt backing away. "You got it" he replied throwing on his gas mask and scrubs, running into the building. While he was in there he thought about Gabby, how hurt her face had looked when he talked to her. He was going to get to the bottom of what was bothering her, and when he did, he would make sure the subject never bothered her again.