Chapter Twelve

"Gabby I'm home" Matt said as he walked through the front door, fixing his bag strap. "Hey Casey!" Antonio exclaimed as he walked out from behind the kitchen counter, drying off his hands. "Hey, thanks for staying here with Gabby until I got back" Matt said shaking Antonio's hand, Antonio nodding. "No problem!! I'd do anything just to hang out with my sis... Like the old days" Antonio replied, Matt placing his bag on the couch. "So... Where is Gabby anyway?" Matt asked, Antonio pointing toward the bedroom. "In the bathroom.... Again" Antonio said, Matt walking past him into the bathroom, Gabby drying off her hands. "Oh... Hey baby" Gabby mumbled as she turned around facing Matt, her eyes all red and watery. "Come here" Matt said pulling Gabby close and hugging her, rubbing her back. "Are you still getting sick?" he asked, Gabby nodding. "Yeah, I think I have the stomach bug" she said looking up into Matts eyes, Matt kissing her. "Matt..." she said as she drew back. "If I do have the stomach bug I don't want to give it to you. You're the Lieutenant... You can't get sick" "Don't worry about me Gabby... You're worth getting sick over" Matt said twirling a piece of her hair, making Gabby smile.
"Alright you two I'll be heading out" Antonio said as Matt and Gabby emerged from the bedroom, Gabby walking up to Antonio and giving him a hug. "Thanks for staying here with me" "Anytime" Antonio replied winking at his sister, fist pounding Matt. "I'll catch you guys later" Antonio said opening the door and leaving, closing it behind him. "So, how was your day?" Gabby asked Matt as they sat on the couch, Matt shrugged. "It was slow today actually. The most serious call Truck got today was to put out a fire that started in a dumpster" Matt said, Gabby laughing. "Wow, sounds like it was an action packed day" Gabby said sarcastically, making Matt chuckle. "So how've you been?" Matt asked, sliding his hand into Gabby's. Gabby looked at Matt and shook her head. "I've been better" she replied, Matt squeezing her hand. "Chief said you can take off as much time as you need to get better" Matt said, Gabby looking into his eyes. "What?" Matt asked smirking, Gabby leaning in and kissing him, running her fingers through his hair. "You're cute when you ramble" Gabby replied, Matt running his finger down Gabby's arm, giving her the chills. "Oh really?" Matt asked scooting closer, Gabby holding up a finger. "Hold that thought" she said before getting up and running back into the bathroom, Matt rushing in after her. "We'll talk later" he told her, rubbing her back and trying his best not to get sick from the smell. Gabby turned around and noticed how pale Matts face was getting so she quickly responded. "Matt I'm fine. Go unwind and I'll be out in a few minutes" Matt nodded and walked out of the bathroom, taking a deep breath before sliding off his clothes and getting into a old pair of CFD sweatpants. Before he could leave the room, Gabby walked out smiling. "Well someone's looking better" Matt said, Gabby walking up to him and hugging him, placing her head onto his bare chest. "Yeah, and I'm feeling better too! That was strange... I don't feel nauseous anymore" Gabby said shrugging, Matt smiling. "That's great! Now you can cook right?" he asked, Gabby playfully punching him in the shoulder and nodding. "Yeah I can" "Gabby I was just kidding... We'll order out tonight!" Matt said grabbing the phone. "No I want to cook. It'll give me something to do" Gabby said taking the phone out of Matts hand, placing it back on the nightstand. "Well, I can't say no to my girls cooking" Matt replied, making Gabby giggle.
_________________________
"Kelly...." Sylvie said as she walked into the living carrying Alexa, her body burning up. Kelly turned around and looked at them worried. "What's wrong?" he asked standing up, walking over and placing his hand on Alexa's head. "Gosh she's burning up" Kelly said, taking Alexa from Sylvie's arms and holding her close. "Yeah I'm a bit worried. I know it's that time of year where everyone gets sick but I took her temperature and get this.... It's 103.7" Sylvie said, Kelly's eyes going wide. "I'm taking her to the hospital" Kelly told Sylvie, sliding on his shoes and grabbing his car keys. "Kelly, maybe we should see how it goes tonight and get her checked out tomorrow..." "Sylvie, I'm taking her" Kelly said, opening the door and closing it behind him, Sylvie running and opening the door back up. "KELLY WAIT! IM COMING" she shouted, running into Alexa's room and grabbing Alexa's bag that she took with her to daycare. Sylvie then slid on her shoes and grabbed her wallet, running back out of the apartment and she made it to Kelly just on time as the elevator reached them. "You got everything we need?" Kelly asked, Sylvie nodding out of breath. Alexa then started shivering and coughing, Kelly holding her outward so he could see her face. Suddenly Alexa threw up, Kelly catching it with his hand, making sure none got on the elevators floor. "This is not good...." Kelly mumbled as they walked out the elevator, Kelly handing Sylvie to Alexa and he wiped his hand off on his t-shirt. "Kelly I could've given you wipes and...." "It's fine Sylvie. It was bound to happen anyway" Kelly replied, opening the back door for Sylvie to place Alexa into her car seat, Sylvie sitting in the back with her.
Alexa cried all the way to the hospital, her cheeks turning a rosy red. "It's alright baby girl mommy's here" Sylvie said, stroking Alexa's hair, comforting her. Kelly looked through his rear view mirror at them, gripping the steering wheel as they pulled up to another red light. "COME ON!!!" he yelled, Sylvie looking at him. "Baby, nows not the time to yell!" Sylvie told him, Kelly glaring at her. "It's a great time to yell.... If I keep hitting every red light!!!" Kelly said, stepping on the pedal hard as soon as the light turned green. Kelly reached the hospital within 3 minutes and he parked in the Children's ER, running over to Alexa's side of the car and unbuckling her, holding her close. "Sylvie, grab the bags" Kelly told her, jogging through the parking lot entering the ER, quickly walking up to the desk. "Hi sir how can I help you?" the receptionist asked, Kelly catching his breath. "My daughter, Alexa Severide... She has a 103.7 fever, vomiting, and shortness of breath" Kelly said, the receptionist typing in all the information. "Can I have your name, career, and relation to Alexa please?" the receptionist asked. "Kelly Severide, Lieutenant at Firehouse 51, and Father" Kelly responded, the receptionist nodding and handing Kelly a clip board. "Please fill out this form and go wait in the waiting area for your name to be called" she said, Kelly thanking her and sitting down just as Sylvie walked in. She quickly walked over to Kelly and sat down, taking Alexa from his arms. "Did you go up front?" Sylvie asked, Kelly showing her the form. "Yeah, so now all I have to do is fill out this form and wait" Kelly replied. "Do you want me to call Gabby?" Sylvie asked, Kelly shaking his head. "She's sick remember?" "Oh yeah you're right... I'll text her" Sylvie said pulling out her phone, texting Gabby.
__________________________
Gabby stood by the stove chopping onions when suddenly she heard her text alert go off in her back pocket. "I got it" Matt said as he reached into Gabby's back pocket, pulling out her phone. Gabby felt her cheeks get warm and Matt looked at her and smiled. "I can't believe after all this time, Gabriela Dawson still gets excited about me" Matt said laughing, Gabby blushing. "Yeah that'll never change" she replied, giving Matt a kiss before he read her text aloud. "Hey Gabby, it's Sylvie. I just wanted to let you know that Kelly and I are at the hospital" Matt read, the words sticking to his mind. "Text her why, what happened" Gabby said as she put the onions in the salad as Matt texted her back. "What do you think happened?" Gabby asked, Matt shrugging. "I don't know.... I just hope everyone's okay" Matt said as he set Gabby's phone on the counter. He had started to wash a couple of dishes to by off time when the phone went off again. This time Gabby picked up, reading the text with her eyes wide. "What, what's wrong?" Matt asked, Gabby looking at him. "It's Alexa. She has a high fever, and she had threw up on Kelly" Gabby replied making Matt laugh. "What?! How's that funny?!" Gabby asked sounding a bit annoyed, Matt still laughing. "I'm laughing about the getting spewed on part! Oh the joys of fatherhood" Matt replied, his laughter suddenly dying off. Gabby walked over to him and slid her hand into his, placing her other hand on his cheek. "You okay?" Gabby asked, Matt looking at her and he nodded. "Yeah I'm okay..." he said. "I miss him" Matt said, Gabby giving him a weak smile. "I miss him too..... Everyday....."