Chapter Fourteen

Gabby walked through the doors of the firehouse, Matt walking in after her. "Hey..." he said gently grabbing her arm, Gabby looking at him. "Do you wanna talk?" he asked, Gabby nodding. "Yeah, I mean. This is a big decision Matt... Last time I went off the top of my head things went South" Gabby replied, Matt sliding his hand into hers, walking away to his office. "Where're you headed Lieutenant?" Hermann asked, Cruz making kissy faces at them. "To my office to talk. You're welcome to join us if you'd like" Casey replied sarcastically, Hermann rolling his eyes while he watched them walk away.
Gabby sat on Matts cot and sighed as he shut the door, sitting on a chair. "So... I was thinking...." Gabby said as she stood up and leaned against the wall, crossing her arms. "I was thinking that if I talked with Mills.... We can switch. I know how bad he wants to be on Squad, but since he isn't medically cleared for that, maybe he'll be good to go on Truck. I also know that I'd be giving up my dream of becoming a firefighter, but you're more important to me than that. If I do accept this, I'll have to leave 51...." Matt looked at Gabby and stood up, placing his hands on her arms. "Gabby I know you better than anyone else. Just do what you think feels right, and don't overthink things like you do.... A lot!" "Hey I didn't overthink about marrying you" Gabby said leaning up and kissing Matt, Matt laughing. "Gabby!!! You did remember?!" Gabby chuckled and looked at Matt, searching his eyes. "What do you think I should do?" she asked, Matt shrugging. "Follow your heart" he told her, kissing her before leaving his office. Gabby sat on Matts cot again and placed her face into her hands. Hermann saw this from around the corner and tapped on the door making Gabby look up. "Am I disturbing yah?" Hermann asked, Gabby giving a small smile, shaking her head. "No not at all! I'm glad you decided to come here. I need a second opinion" Gabby told him, Hermann sitting next to her on Matts cot. "What're you thinking kid?" Hermann asked, Gabby looking at him and she shrugged. "Right about now I'm thinking about giving up my dream as a firefighter and moving back onto Ambo" Gabby told him, Hermanns eyes widening. "Wow.... Just know whatever you choose, I'll support you no matter what" Hermann said patting her knee, standing up and leaving Gabby alone. Gabby looked at her feet and sighed, then rubbing her hands together. She knew what she was going to do.
__________________________
"Alright honey this is going to hurt a little bit" said Nurse Linda as she gave Alexa a shot, Alexa crying in pain. "It's alright baby girl" Sylvie said as she held Alexa close, Kelly rubbing her back soothing her. "Did the test reveal what she has?" Sylvie asked, Linda shaking her head. "Not quite yet. The test results should come back within the next four hours" Kelly nodded and watched as Linda left, Sylvie rolling her eyes. "What?" he asked sitting in a chair, Sylvie shrugging. "I want to go home..." "We will... Once we find out what's wrong with our girl" Kelly replied. "Let's make a bet" Kelly then added, Sylvie sighing. "Kelly we aren't kids" "If it's just the common flu, I have to take you out to dinner. If it's something worse than the flu...." Kelly raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Oh no!!! Oh no no no!" Sylvie laughed, Kelly looking at her. "What do you think I'm about to say?" "We are NOT. I repeat we are NOT having another baby this soon!!!" Sylvie replied, Kelly laughing. "We'll see who wins. Just hope you're the lucky winner... You will be both ways though" Kelly said, making Sylvie blush. "Yeah whatever" she replied bluntly just as Doctor Long walked back in. "We got the test results back earlier than we thought...." he said as he examined the papers. "Alexa here has a type of virus, known to spread through many young children this time of year, especially if their in daycare" Dr. Long said, Sylvie looking at Kelly who nodded his head. "Alright so what do we do to treat this?" Kelly asked. "I'm going to prescribe her to antibiotics for a week, and since this virus is contagious, I don't want her to go to daycare for the next three days. Also you guys have a high possibility of catching this as well, so I'm going to prescribe you nose spray.... One squirt each nostril for a week" Dr. Long said as he wrote the information down on paper, handing it to Sylvie. "Thank you Doctor" Sylvie said, Dr. Long nodding as he took out Alexa's IV. "You guys are good to go" he said handing Kelly the discharge papers. "Thank you" Kelly replied watching Dr. Long leave the room, Sylvie jumping up out of excitement. "Let's get out of here" she said scooping up Alexa, Kelly grabbing the bags and leaving the hospital room, walking out into the fresh air.
_________________________
Matt ran into the bathroom and made sure no one was inside. He then went into a stall and opened up the toilet, throwing up. He had caught what Gabby had yesterday, and it was making him feel awful. He then suddenly heard the door to the bathroom open, and Chief Boden walked inside into one of the stalls. Matt placed his hands over his mouth and kept swallowing, wanting to make sure Chief Boden didn't hear him. He couldn't hold it in any longer so he let it all out, Chief Boden suddenly talking out. "Who's in here?" he asked, Matt not replying. He then quickly flushed the toilet and walked out, washing his hands and leaving the bathroom just as Chief Boden stepped out, looking around confused.
Matt walked down the hallway, sweat dripping onto his brow, his face pale. He sat in the lounge and Mouch looked at him. "Gosh Lieutenant you look like a bus hit you!!!" he exclaimed, Matt rubbing his head with his fingers. "Not in the mood Mouch" he managed to say just as Hermann walked in. "HOLY SMOKES LIEUTENANT! Are you okay!" he asked, Casey sighing. "Yeah I'm fine" he replied, wiping his sweat just as Gabby rounded the corner. "Matt.... You look awful" she told him sitting next to him, placing her hand on the side of his neck. "You're burning up!" she exclaimed, Matt swishing her hand away and standing up. "Guys.. Really... I'm fine" he told them walking away to his office, Gabby following closely behind him. Matt walked into his office and laid on his cot, Gabby sitting next to him, running her hand through Matts hair that was sticking to his face. "Baby I think you should go home" she told him, Matt shaking his head, suddenly feeling nauseous again. "Do you mind getting me water?" he asked, Gabby nodding and getting up leaving, Matt quickly jumping up and running to the bathroom again.
Gabby walked back to Matts office with a water bottle in her hand and peeked in. Matt was no longer laying in bed, and she sighed. 'That man won't tell me a thing' she thought to herself as she walked into the bathroom, hearing Matt gag. She walked over to the stall and tapped on it. "Who is it?" Matt asked weakly. "Baby it's me open up" she told him, Matt unlocking the stall door standing up, walking over to the sink and washing his hands, pulling out his mouth wash. "Seriously Matt, go home... I don't think Hermann would mind filling in for you" she told him, Matt shaking his head. "MATT DONT BE STUBBORN" she told him as he spat out his mouth wash, taking the water bottle out of Gabby's hand and drinking it. "Baby I'm fine. Someone needs to pay for the bills right?" he asked, Gabby leaning in and kissing him, the kiss growing deeper. Cruz suddenly opened the bathroom door, his eyes widened. "WHY ME!!!" he cried out, running out of the bathroom, Matt and Gabby laughing. "That's the second time he's done that right?" Matt asked wrapping his arms around Gabby's waist, drawing her close. "Yeah... But I don't think he minds it" she said kissing him, Matt lifting her up, Gabby wrapping her arms around his neck.