106. Toxic

When something holds its way around long enough it becomes a normal thing to the point that seeing Liam everyday didn't seem like a necessity anymore.

Of course I still visit him more than my time could handle, but after the conversation with Gen and talking about Uni got me thinking of other decent thugs I could be doing. Because right now is right now, and it'll affect what I have in the future.

"I think you should do it" Harry said as he reached down to let Pepper lick his fingers from where we sat at the kitchen island, "I mean continuing school has been your plan"

I sighed, dropping my sliced pickle in a bowl I had set out for myself.

"I don't know" I began, "With everything going on with Liam..."

"Well it doesn't have to be now" he said, "I think it's a good idea"

I bit my bottom lip, watching Harry pick Pepper off the floor and bring him to his lap.

How Harry and I managed to become friends after all that's happened is beyond me. Ever since his birthday and I'd given him my dad's ring it's sort of been a good friends thing between us. Like how our relationship was just without the actual relationship.

"What would you study?" he asked me whilst trying to keep Pepper's energy still.

I shrugged, "I don't know, I've been thinking of psychology or maybe journalism"

"I always saw you as a writer, or a poet" Harry told me making me knit my eyebrows, "You're just a very passionate person, a lot of the things you have to say is what you'd hear in a novel or haiku"

"Haiku?" I laughed.

"Well I couldn't say poem because then it would sound repetitive" he snickered.

"Listen to yourself" I giggled, "What made you have a sudden change in speech"

Harry shrugged, stealing one of my pickles from my bowl, "I'm prick, but I'm a prick with a bloody good vocabulary" he said making me stifle a snicker, "I don't know, I stopped acting stupid"

"You never were stupid" I told him, having his gaze stop on me for a mere few seconds before shooting his stare down at Pepper who was nibbling at his fingers.

"I should go" Harry said, setting the pup to the floor and lifting his weight off the bar stool, "It's getting late"

I was going to offer that he could stay over what with all the guest bedrooms we had but mainly for the reason that I just wanted to continue to talk. Harry's one of the people that you just admire having a simple conversation with, especially with how every word he produced came out like a sort of symphony with his deep slow voice.

But I decided against it, letting him continue down to the front door.

"I can pick you up tomorrow to go to the hospital" he suggested, having me bite my bottom lip.

"Um, actually I call tomorrow a day off" I told him, "Do what you want"

"Are you sure?" he asked with a nod as an answer.

He shrugged, letting himself out and leaving Pepper and I in a completely lonely house.

~ Harry's _ POV +

"I'm surprised you're here" Zayn said as he watched the television and I closed the flat door, "I figured you'd find a way to sleepover"

I rolled my eyes, walking passed the couch and catching Zayn's eye, "I was joking Haz" he assured having me ignore the comment and go to my room.