102. Here With You

"Liam Payne" was all I could blubber out to the nurse at the front desk when I got to the hospital.

Receiving the voicemail from the hospital telling me my brother was hurt was the absolute worst feeling I've ever had. Worse than heartbreak, worse than eternal sadness because what was in danger was my everything. And when your everything i s hurt, you're hurt too.

The nurse gave me to room Liam was staying in after I had confirmed I was his sister, stumbling towards the door.

I didn't care to wipe the tears away from my face because the tear stains on my cheeks showed me that I still had feelings. That I could still hurt for someone other than myself.

I opened the room door I was given, seeing Liam lying on the bed expecting him to look to me and wonder where I've been.

"Li?" I muttered having someone behind me startle me.

"Ms. Payne" he said, entering the room before me and offering a seat for me to sit on.

Keeping my eye on Liam, I sat at the chair having the doctor pull out his form on the end of the bed.

"Is he-is he sleeping?" I asked with a sniffle.

"Technically speaking, yes" he replied making me look at him in panic.

Seeing my watery eyes, his features warmed up, "I'm Dr. Roland" he held his hand out for me to shake, "I tended to your brother during his time here"

"Can you just tell me what happened" I tried not to sound vulnerable having that fail for me.

"Um okay" he said, opening his folder, "Mr. Payne, Liam, came in December 10th with a gunshot to the abdomen and several fractures to his ribs and shoulders" Dr. Roland began to say, "And according to his friend Mr. Brad Percy, he got in a fight after a rival football match. The other teams fans were rather angry that their team lost and took their anger out on a couple players, your brother being a main victim"

"Oh my God" I choked looking to Liam again, "C-can I wake him up? So he can know I'm here"

The doctor pursed his lips, "Ms. Payne during his surgery to remove the bullet, your brother lost large amounts of blood. We were looking for you seeing you had the same blood type but we were informed about your trip so it took a while to find another donor because of your rare blood type" he said making me begin to tear again, "During the wait, your brother went into a coma"

I choked, letting out a quiet sob and looking to Liam once again seeing him lay still on the bed.

He looked so peaceful, but a part of me knew he was dying inside because Liam was never one to want to be disconnected from the world.

I sat still on the white plastic seat, not even noticing Dr. Roland had left.

I sloppily stood up from the chair and swept my feet across the tiled floor to sit on the bed with him.

I watched to see if he was breathing, very faintly. He wasn't snoring like he usually does which led me to believe he wasn't asleep but just dead with his heart still beating.

I lay down on the bed beside him, looking at his chapped lips and bruised cheek.

And I cried, because whilst I was gone and having fun my brother was here in misery.

I should have known, he didn't answer my messages or calls and I was so oblivious to the fact that something could've been wrong with him because I was so wrapped up into what was going on in my world.

I looked to Liam, his eyes shut and I wondered what he saw behind the darkness of his eyelids.

And in this moment, I found out who the sun to my world is. Because right now, my sun is dimmed, and my world is falling apart in utter darkness.