Chapter 10

I wasn't sure if it was smart or safe to meet Miles at the coffee shop this morning.  Cuff has no idea about it and I think the only reason that I am actually considering going is because I haven't had any one on one social interaction with people other than Lucky and Cuff.  

It is decided, I quickly exit the apartment building. There is a light rain coming down from the cloudy gray sky.  I walk with long strides to the coffee shop and enter it as fast as I can despite the fact that I am already partially soaked.  

I hang my trench coat on the hangers by the door and order a latte.  As I am waiting for my order my eyes scan for Mile's tall figure.  I spot him in the back staring right at me.  I breathe out and look away to grab my order.

"Good morning A.J." Miles says as I approach him and pull out a chair to sit across from him.

"Good morning..." I reply.

He doesn't say anything else and neither do I, his eyes just stare into me and he observes my every move.

"So, why did you want to meet?" I swallowed.

"I want to hire you." He says simply.

"Uh-uh...for what?" I ask blinking rapidly.

"For a photo shoot." He says like it was something that I learned in 3rd grade.

"You're a photographer?" 

"Yes," he chuckles with a gorgeous smile. "And I want to take pictures of you for one of my projects." 

"Wow, I-I would love to." I say, this is taking a much better turn then I expected. "Thank you so much."

"No, thank you.  You have the...look I want for the image I have planned."

I nod. "Do you need my comp card?" I ask pulling it out from my purse.  

"Yeah thanks." He says while taking the card from my hand.

"Well, I need to get back to Cuff, before he wakes up." I stand up and so does he.

He shocks me when he pulls me in for a quick hug but I brush it off and say good bye before making my way back to the apartment.

"Where the hell have you been?" Cuff scares the crap out of me when I open the door.

"How are awake so early?" I ask, it is only like 9 in the morning.

"Are you kidding?" he looks angry. "I noticed you were gone and you didn't tell me you were leaving and there was no note or anything to tell me where you were going."

"I went to a coffee shop...to talk with a friend."

He breathes out. "What if something happened to you? And I had no way of knowing where to look for you."

"Yeah I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a big deal." I say staring widely at him.

"God, that was stupid of you." He turns away and goes looking through the kitchen. I have decided not to mention my meeting with Miles.  Miles seems slightly nicer and more welcoming than Cuff.  Plus, I haven't even gotten any information on the shoot so I don't really have anything to tell Cuff just yet.

I think I should find out a little more about Miles  through Cuff. 

"So, what is Miles like?" I ask sitting down in the living area.

Cuff shrugs giving me a weird look. "He is..I don't know...nice?"

"What does he do for a living?"

Cuff tenses, but rolls his eyes shortly after. "He is bloody photographer too, thinks he is better than I am." he scoffs.

"Thought you guys are friends?"