Chapter 11

A.J's POV

Lucky had returned home last night. I was so happy to see him again and I could tell that what ever happened on his trip cheered him up.  He was talkative, we talked until 1 in the morning about what happened over the weekend to the both of us.

It is Tuesday morning and Lucky has seem to have already fallen back into his normal routine of disappearing at the break of dawn.  I had to be at Mile's studio at 7 sharp and I was not going to be late for my first photo shoot.

Despite what Cuff had said, I was not going to cancel on Miles, I was so excited to work on this project with him.  He told me more about this photoshoot and it is for an actual brand here in New York, so I have to opportunity to be displayed in their stores and be on their website. The best part is that I will actually have a little money to start saving up for my own place.

I washed my face and shaved my arm pits before leaving the apartment in my simple black skirt and jean jacket.  While exiting the building I pulled my sunglasses over my eyes and hailed a taxi as fast as I could. 

I'm definitely getting the hang of this. 

After the taxi ride through the city and to the very heart of Manhattan I was dropped off at the address Miles had sent me.  Making my way up to the floor and entering the room number that I was given.  

It was amazing.  There was an area for hair and make up where a busty, cotton candy haired lady sat flipping through her phone, a table with coffee and fruit was set up as well.  Racks of clothes were being pulled into the room and Miles was behind the camera photographing a girl in a bright outfit.  

"Good morning." I said to the hair dresser.

She looks up form her phone and smiles widely. "Have a seat, have a seat! You must be A.J."

I nod and sat down in the cushioned chair while she began combing through my hair.  

"Miles told me that he wants to keep your skin as natural looking as possible." The stranger said with a hint of an Irish accent in her strong voice.

"What do you go by?" I question, closing my eyes feeling her hands run product through my hair.

"You can call me Mrs. Pepper." She said.

I laugh a little, but not impolitely. "I am so nervous." I admit to Mrs. Pepper.

She sucks her teeth. "Don't be, you have some really fun outfits, doll.  I got a sneak peak of your rack."  

It takes her an hour to finish the low pony tail that is fresh looking but messy at the same time.  She has painted my nails a beautiful shade of red and is currently applying an electric blue eyeliner paste to my eyes.

"A.J!" Miles walks over to me and pulls up a stool to sit down.

"Hi, Miles." I smile but I am careful not to move my face too much. 

"I just finished with Sonya, and I am ready for you when you are finished with your make up." he takes a swig from his water bottle. "Mmm, Pepper, that is a perfect color....make the line a little thicker on her eyelid."

I can't help but take notice of how instructive he is and how much he clearly loves his job.  I would have never guessed he was this energetic if you asked me that one day we met in the coffee shop.  

Mrs. Pepper coats my lips in a creamy red lip stick and give my thigh a pat.

"All done, doll." Mrs. Pepper says playing with her big hoop earring while admiring her work.

"Thank you so much." I tell her and stand up to walk over to my rack.  The silver rack has my name on it and has hangers holding small pieces of clothing and some even holding plastic bags that have jewelry and purses in them.  I take off the hanger that says "look one" and see that it is literally just a belt and necklace in the bag.