Chapter 5

Lucky's POV

God, what is this crick in my neck? I wake up lifting my head up slightly, realizing that A.J is in the pull out bed with me. She is laying on her stomach, her left leg folded under her while her right one is between my legs.  Her face is smushed against my arm making her cheeks push her lips out. I sigh as I look at the river of saliva that is running down my bicep from her mouth that is parted open.

Despite how horribly uncomfortable the position she is in looks, her eyes are lightly closed and she is taking small breaths. 

I slide myself off the futon with my free arm not lifting my body up so I slip on to the floor still on my back, gently of course. I glance over at Cuff who probably won't be up until noon. I peek at my watch that reads 5:47. Perfect, the sun is just about to rise.  

Wasting as little time as possible I grab my fresh coffee from the old coffee brewer and climb over Cuff's mattress and through the window on the fire escape.  

-----

A.J's POV

I flinch up from my sleep, breathing hard even though I wasn't having a scary dream. The unfamiliar stiffness of the bed I am on and the slightly itchy blanket that is covering my torso, proves that I am not in my own room.  The room is half lit up due to the ray of sunlight peeking through the window. 

The faint smell of coffee enters my nose and I furrow my eye brows at the fact that Lucky is not in the kitchen area when I go to check.  I pull my phone out of my purse. 7:12 am, 3 missed calls, 7 text messages, and countless other notifications from friends and family members probably wanting to know what has happened to me. They should just ask my parents, they know exactly why I'm not around.

Cuff is still passed out half on the mattress while his legs are hanging off resting on the hardwood floors.  I walk to the bathroom and decide a shower is what I need more than anything right now, then I will start my inevitable job hunt.  

The shower head sputters out water the whole shower and I make friends with two spiders that were hiding behind the containers of shampoo and body wash.  Making me wonder if that goes to show how often these boys use those products.

I exit the bathroom wrapped in a white towel, my hair still dripping wet around my shoulders. I gasp when I see Lucky in the middle of pulling his jeans over his legs.  I look away red faced, and make my way to my suit case.

"Enjoy the shower?" Lucky says with a knowing smile.

"I can't complain, seeing that I haven't showered in 3 days." I say awkwardly holding my outfit in my hands, not wanting to just walk away from the conversation Lucky started.

I look at Lucky who is fully dressed now in a bright red Adidas tee-shirt and some not-to-tight black jeans. His hair is still messy from sleep and flatter than usual due to the lack of product. He still holds his boyish charm.

I walk to the bathroom to change into a summery outfit.  It is early summer here in New York yet still cool.

Alright plan for the day. Go get breakfast at a cafe, take a taxi to IMG agency for the open call at 1:00, cry and stress all night waiting to here back from them. 

Perfect, it's sorted.

I walk out in my outfit (picture attached) And grab my purse. Walking to the door I try to get Lucky's attention.

"I'm off to a cafe." 

He looks up from his laptop at the kitchen counter. "Oh, I was just heading out too, mind if I join?" He says walking with me to the door.

"Not at all, you probably know all the good cafes anyway."  

"Cool."he puts his hands in his pockets as we leave the apartment building, the early morning has yet to warm up and I wrap my sweater around my chest.

"If you don't mind me asking, what are your plans for the day?" Lucky says as he guides me into the quaint cafe a block or two down from the building.

"Well I am going to the IMG open call at 1..."

"Wait...Like IMG as in IMG agency..like for models?" Lucky says with wide eyes.

I can tell what he is thinking, IMG is a very high class agency and represents some of the most successful models in the world. 

"You betcha. I can't just miss this opportunity." He nods in agreement.

We order our drinks, I get a green tea, for the sake of my teeth and my stomach.

"Is that all your going to have for breakfast?" Lucky says eyeing the drink that I have in front of me on the small table for two. 

"Yeah I think so."

"Your going to be so hungry."

"No I'm not."

"Yeah you are!"

"I will be fine, if I get too hungry I can just eat away all my feelings after the casting."

He starts shaking his head. I roll my eyes not expecting him to understand. Not all of us have metabolisms faster than a jet, like Lucky probably does.  

"Are you just going to take a cab to the open call?" Lucky asks.

"That's my plan, it's not until 1 so I am going to walk around the city a bit before I get back the apartment to prepare for the casting." 

"I recommend you get to the casting at 12." Lucky looks up at me in the eyes.

He is right, there is nothing an agent likes more than a model who shows up early. I nod my head. "Good idea." I tell him.

----

It's about 9:15 and I am holding a bag that has some black heels in it that I just bought for the casting.  Believe me when I say I have plenty of black heels that I could wear instead, but I wanted a more strappy pair since it will give the outfit a more summery feel. 

I walk up the apartment building and make my way towards the elevator. 

"Good morning." The cheerful doorman greets me when I walk by the lobby.

"Right back atcha."I say with a smile.

"Did you just move in or.."

"Oh no. I am...uh..staying with a friend?" I say sounding unsure with what I was saying.

The doorman nods with a polite smile anyway and I continue my venture to room 56.

As I am knocking lightly on the door, I wonder what Lucky does as a job, or if he is unemployed and that's why he can't afford his own place.

Cuff then suddenly opens the door weakly, with his eyes barely open and his hair falling over his forehead. He doesn't greet me, just leaves the door open and turns back into the house. When I follow in, he lays back down on his mattress dozing back to sleep.  

This is it, I have 2 hours to ready my self for this casting and I am so stressed. I take another shower, shaving my legs and armpits thoroughly yet carefully, I then allow my hair to air dry and apply a light tinted moisturizer, castings want to see what you look like naturally. Agents can tell when a model has straightened their hair or is wearing makeup or self tanner.  

I'm ready to go once I have put on my black body-con dress that has about 1 inch thick straps, along with my new heels.  

Purse. Check

Shades. Check.

Resume book. Check.

Confidence. Pending.

I wave farewell to the doorman and push open the lobby's door with all the sass I can muster.  My head launches into a hard chest as I pass through the door. Looking up I lock eyes with a rather shocked Lucky Blue holding a large amount of shopping backs in each hand.