C H A P T E R N I N E

Y E A R F I V E
C O N T.//

The morning of departure from Hogwarts, I quickly packed my things. Ron said his mother wanted me to stay with the Weasleys for the break!

"No one should be alone on Christmas!" Fred and George grinned, speaking in unison as they carried my luggage and led me to a small room in which I would be staying.

Hermione and Harry joined the Weasleys and me for the break as well. The atmosphere of the Weasley's home offered a feeling of comfort, and I found myself wishing I could have been raised in such a friendly, warm environment. Mr. Weasley returned home from the hospital after Harry saved his life due to a nightmare that awoke spectacled boy some time during first term. Mr. Weasley toasted to Harry at supper the first evening of winter break.

"I have another announcement, as well," Mr. Weasley set down his glass, his eyes settling on mine, "I am delighted to have you here, Iris. You see, the matter of your living situation has been discussed among us at the Ministry, and as of right now, it is uncertain as to where you should go, but I suggested that, if you so desire, that you may come live with us at the Burrow."

"Really?" I beamed, looking to the Weasleys who each offered a warm and welcoming smile, "I don't know what to say."

"Take your time, dear," Mrs. Weasley patted my back, "We know things are difficult for you right now, and just want you to know that you have a family with us."

"Merci." I jumped from my seat and hugged both Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

❁ ❁ ❁

You're just like them.

The same voice.

The same nightmare.

Night after night.

"Breakfast, Iris." Ron knocked on my door the morning of Christmas Eve.

I dragged myself out of bed, slowly trudging down the stairs to see the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry already seated at the table. I joined, apologizing for taking so long to wake up. I couldn't deny that I lost a lot of sleep in the prior months. My face certainly showed it. I poked at my breakfast while the others scarfed down their meals. Back in France, we only drank coffee in the early mornings. Celia and I always ate a pastry together, but most people in our town, and even country, were not accustomed to eat so early in the morning.

"You gonna eat that?" Ron leaned over the table, gesturing toward my uneaten sausage link.

"Ron, honestly," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Do you ever stop eating?"

I smiled faintly as I offered my plate to Ron so that he could take the sausage for himself. Hermione watched in disgust as the red-headed boy scarfed down the sausage.

"So, Ginny," Fred raised his brow while stuffing his face with a forkful of scrambled eggs, "Rumor in the Gryffindor Common Room s'that you're dating a Ravenclaw."

"You know 'im, Iris," George continued, "Michael Corner, s'that 'is name?"

"You are dating Michael, Ginny?" I turned to look at youngest Weasley who blushed furiously.

"Some of the Ravenclaws say he and Penelope Clearwater were caught after the Yule Ball--"

"Ronald Weasley," Mrs. Weasley interrupted, "Don't you dare finish that sentence."

"Sorry mum." Ron mumbled with a mouthful of food.

"You didn't answer our question, sis." Fred winked as he took a sip of his coffee.