C H A P T E R 1 1

S U M M E R //

I pondered why the Dark Lord sought such interest in me. My parents were dark wizards, so when their eleven year old daughter performed an Unforgivable Curse, it'd seem natural to want to make her a Death Eater. Not to mention my grandmother was once friends with the wizard. I spent the summer thinking about this thought. Would I truly join Voldemort? I knew how nasty Death Eaters could be, but my family truly weren't the kind of people to go around on killing sprees.

I suppose I was the exception.

I rolled out of bed slowly, wrapping Mrs. Weasley's quilt around me as I looked out the window. Narcissa was in the garden with Draco. The two were picking flowers and placing them in a basket. I heard a loud crash from down the hall, which most likely was Bellatrix. I shivered. Having to live with the woman made life at the manor a bit uneasy (not that it was a wonderful experience prior to her arrival). I knew Narcissa enjoyed me, but Lucius had been sent to Azkaban after the Battle of the Department of mysteries, and considering I took part, I could easily be blamed. Narcissa only wanted to keep her family safe, and it proved difficult. I wanted nothing to do with Voldemort, but the Malfoys were involved entirely. I am the one making it difficult. I sighed, watching Narcissa hug Draco, who looked rather uncomfortable. I plopped back onto the bed, still bundled up in my quilt. So tired... My eyelids became heavy.

"Are you really still in bed?" I groaned as I opened my eyes. Draco looked obnoxiously annoyed as he leaned against the door frame.

"Go away." I muttered, closing my eyes once again as I snuggled up with my quilt.

"Mother made brunch," I felt extra weight on my bed. I didn't open my eyes, but I knew Draco made himself comfortable. He continued to pester me. "You look ridiculous."

"Oh no," I grumbled, "Draco Malfoy thinks I look ridiculous. How ever will I survive?" He muttered something I couldn't hear before tugging the quilt off of me. "!" I scrambled onto my feet immediately. "Give it back, Malfoy!"

"Not a chance. Why do you bother to keep this filthy rag?" He grimaced as he held the multi-patterned blanket.

"Mrs. Weasley gave it to me before I was rudely taken away from her family." I snatched the quilt away from the boy.

"I'm sorry." His eyes dropped to the floor.

"Narcissa made brunch?" I quickly changed the subject, tossing the quilt onto my bed.

Draco nodded as he stood, our eyes meeting for a brief moment before he left my room. I sighed, following the boy down the stairs and into the dining hall where Narcissa sat alone. She sat at the head of the table, gesturing that we sit beside her. Lucius would never allow us to do such a thing, but even so, we gladly joined the woman.

"Did you show Iris the flowers, Draco?" Narcissa took a sip of her tea.

"He did not." I answered for the boy.

"Draco said the Summer Blues remind him of your eyes." The woman smiled as her son immediately became flustered. I grew to love Narcissa more and more each day.

"Did he?" I titled my head slightly, taking a bite of the Délices D'Endives, a French dish of baked eggs and smoked ham that I prepared not too long ago for the Malfoys. Needless to say, the family enjoyed it, and practically everything I cooked while living in the manor.