C H A P T E R 1 2

S U M M E R
C O N T. // Y E A R S I X

"Iris?" My attention snapped to Narcissa

"Iris?" My attention snapped to Narcissa. Her brows furrowed as she waited for me to speak.

"Pardon?" I did not hear her question. I can't keep my focus.

"Did you get any sleep at all last night?" She repeated herself. She looked concerned as she eyed me. It was dreadfully obvious I had not slept much.

"A few hours." I lied. I knew I looked dreadful (Draco already pointed that out, as he usually did).

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" She pursed her lips as we approached a strange house. Narcissa did not explain entirely where it was we were. She only said she was seeking help from an old friend, one who would know how to introduce me into this new lifestyle.

Before I could answer, Bellatrix knocked on the door, snickering as she rocked back and forth on her heels. As the door opened, I made eye contact with a rather familiar face.

"Professor Snape," I looked to Narcissa, a bit confused as to why we were visiting him,Bonjour." I sputtered.

"Why did you bring her along, Narcissa?" Severus hissed. Good to see you, too, Professor.

"The Dark Lord won't leave our family be, and--" She replied. Her voice shook.

"I cannot change the Dark Lord's wishes." Severus glared at me. What? Professor Snape is...

"She is not asking that, Monsieur." I interrupted.

"Then what is it you are asking, Miss Éclatant?"

"She is here for Draco, not me." I stated, my voice shaking.

Bellatrix snickered as she stepped behind me, running her long nails through my hair.

"I think the pretty little baby wants herself a tattoo~" The woman cackled, referring to a dark mark.

"She's a naive child." Severus spat.

"But it is what the Dark Lord wants," Bellatrix scolded, "You aren't going to defy his wishes, are you?"

Severus grew silent, and Bellatrix offered me her hand. I took it, shaking, as the woman gave me an eerie feeling. I felt like a traitor to my friends, but I felt as if I no longer truly had a choice. I either lived a life like Narcissa: no dark mark, yet still living in fear, or in fear with at least a bit of protection.