C H A P T E R 3 2

"Iris," I heard mother call. "Iris, breakfast is ready. Come down, S'il vous plait."

I yawned, rubbing my eyes as my feet hit the cold, wooden floor. I hobbled to my vanity, pausing as I met eyes with my reflection. A young girl stared back at me, with bright blue eyes, and curly blonde hair. It had been a while since I had seen her. Where did she go for all these years?

What on earth am I saying. She's been here all along...hasn't she?

I bid the reflection goodbye as I slipped on a pair of socks and skipped down the hallway of the manor to join my family at breakfast. Mother and father sat on either end of the small, white kitchen table. Celia placed their coffee cups on the table. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see grand-mére. "Bien matin, Iris."

"Bien matin." I replied before I sat in my usual seat.

"You have grown so much, dear," My mother said before she took a sip of her coffee. "We missed you terribly."

"What are you talking about?" I raised a brow as Celia set down a plate in front of me. "I have been here the whole time."

"No, Iris," My father shook his head. "You only just got back."

Celia paused in her work, and I heard her whisper. Though not clear, it sounded something along the lines of: 'you made a mistake in returning.'

"Celia--" Grand-mére intervened. "Miss Carrow, you may be excused."

I felt my heart ache, but as I turned to watch the young woman go, I was astonished to see her already gone, as if she vanished in thin air.

"I do not understand," I looked back to my parents. "What are you all talking about?"

My mother reached across the table to place her hand on top of mine. "We have seen all the things you have done."

"We are extraordinarily proud of you, Iris. You did much better than we ever could." My father smiled. "You learned what we hoped you would."

"You are a good person, Iris," My grandmother joined in. "You have done bad things, yes, but nonetheless are a good person. I only wish I could have done what you did. I hope you know we are all proud of you," I lowered my gaze as she continued. "And above all, you learned to be not like us, but learned vous êtes juste comme vous."

When I looked up to meet her eyes, she was gone, as were my parents.

You are just like you.

I opened my eyes. It was dark. When I glanced toward the clock, I saw it was only 11:00 pm. I blinked several times and realized I must have been crying in my sleep, as I felt dried tears against my cheeks.

"Are you alright?" Draco muttered in a sleepy tone. He wrapped his arm around me.

"Mhm." I replied, rolling to face him.

He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before leaning forward and kissing my forehead. "Did you have another nightmare?"

I shook my head. "No. It was just a dream."

Draco furrowed his brows. "Do you want to tell me about it?"

I sighed, then spoke. "My parents were there, and my grandmother, and Celia, but grandmother made Celia leave...and they said..." My voice trailed off.

"They said?" Draco stroked my hair gently as he intently listened.

"That I have been gone for a long time," I said. "And I have grown."