C H A P T E R 1 8

I could not begin to explain the confusion I felt. My stomach continued to twist and turn into knots as if I was about to apparate. My nightmares worsened, and in every one I envisioned the green light that emitted from my own wand. Draco tried his best to comfort me, but I found myself not wanting to be touched. I would pull away any time he attempted to embrace me, and I could tell it hurt him, but it felt so wrong. I still could not believe that he truly was in love with me or that he cared. I tried to convince myself the feeling would pass, but there were so many thoughts running through my mind and I could not correctly find an answer or explanation for them.

Or, perhaps I could, and I didn't want to admit it.

My soul, was in fact, damaged. Hopefully not beyond repair. I wasn't quite sure exactly how killing affected the soul, but I'm sure Voldemort could tell me all about it.

Don't worry, I had no intentions to ask.

I tossed my Dumbledore's Army coin into the fire, as I found myself wanting to contact the trio to ask if they were alright, but I could not put them or myself in anymore danger.

I was pushing away anyone who might care even the slightest, but I did not realize it at the time.

Days turned into weeks, and I found myself going through more books than I ever imagined I would read. I repaired the books I destroyed, but still felt terrible for even doing so. I missed the Ravenclaw Common Room, and the enormous shelves of books that lined the wall. I never did have much time to read, and when I did, it was usually research for the shenanigans the Gryffindor trio and I got caught up in. I sat in the living area, reading an old book I found somewhere in the Manor. I stopped reading upon hearing an unusual noise in the silence. I listened carefully. I swore I heard someone from below, but I was already downstairs. No one else was home. Lucius was at a meeting at the Ministry, while Narcissa and Draco were grocery shopping. I could hear footsteps and hushed voices from below.

The dungeons, I realized.

The Malfoys hated having meetings in their home, but it wasn't uncommon for Death Eaters to show up unannounced at Voldemort's request. I dropped my book on the couch before sneaking downstairs to the dungeons. I peeked through a crack in the wooden door carefully, and covered my mouth as I watched Luna Lovegood being thrown into the cell. My best friend was being kept underneath my own feet. My first thought was to free her once the Death Eaters left, but I knew better. I couldn't free her. I just couldn't. Lucius would bloody kill me. Even worse, Voldemort would kill me, and the Malfoys, too. Surely the Dark Lord wasn't planning on actually hurting Luna. He most likely needed her for something. Perhaps to get to Harry. I quietly backed up the stairs just as Narcissa and Draco walked through the front door. They immediately noticed my discomfort, and before Narcissa could answer they felt a light breeze and heard the 'whoosh' of the Death Eaters leaving.

"Why were they here?" She asked, setting down a bag.

"My best friend is being held captive in your basement." I stated harshly before storming upstairs.

Draco followed me quickly. "You know it isn't our fault," He whispered. "I may not be friends with--"

"Luna."

"Luna," he continued. "But I don't like having my home serve as Voldemort's base of operations and having Death Eaters come in and out as they please. Neither do my parents."