C H A P T E R 1 7

S U M M E R
C O N T.//

Despite it being July 31st, my birthday, Draco did not speak to me once. He and I had not spoken in eleven days. I didn't care. Sort of. Neither of us would apologize for our argument. Anyway, I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that Draco was capable of actually falling in love. Draco Malfoy. In love? Being kind? On purpose? Maybe he was in love with me, but how would I ever know? An owl dropped a letter at my open window.

Happy Birthday, it read. Harry.

I returned the owl to Harry with 'Happy Birthday to you, too.' written on a piece of parchment. I suppose that was our code for 'I'm sorry.' At least someone knows how to apologize, but really, I should have apologized to Harry first. The wedding was the following day, so I certainly would be able to say sorry then. That is, if I could sneak out of the manor.

A knock at my bedroom door startled me. Lucius and Narcissa were out for the afternoon, and I knew Bellatrix left for Borgin and Burkes. Which left Draco. I groaned as I flung the door open, but found myself looking at...

"Rufus Scrimgeour," He replaced Cornelius Fudge as the Minister of Magic, but what on earth was he doing at the manor? Perhaps he was taking me back to the Weasley's! "You are Iris Éclatant, correct?" He raised a brow.

"Oui," I replied. "C'est moi. What can I do for you?"

"I expected to find you with your friends and the Weasley family, but they told me I would find you here," He pulled a package from his coat pocket. "Albus Dumbledore left this to you."

"Oh." I took the package, a bit disappointed that he would not be taking me home. Or, well, to the Weasley's. Same thing. "Why did he leave this to me?" I asked, despite my cluelessness of what actually hid under the brown wrapping paper.

"I'm sure you'll know once you open it," He smiled. "I should be going."

"Merci, monsieur. Au Revoir." Rufus nodded before he walked down the hall. One of the servants showed him out.

I looked down at the package, pondering what Dumbledore could have possibly left for me. I carefully tore open the package. My jaw dropped slightly as I held a black leather book with silver lettering, but not just any black and silver book.

"Dark Arts." I whispered as I traced the letters on the cover with my finger.

He kept the book from the day I gave it up. I opened the book and it jumped out of my hands, landing on the floor with a soft thud. The pages began turning themselves until the book laid open on the page describing the Killing Curse. I knelt down and picked up the book, looking over the page as I stood. There were several sentences on the page that were underlined, and I knew those notes were not there before.

A.D. signed on the bottom right corner. Stray no longer; you are ready to learn.

I raised a brow as I read his note over a couple of times. Suddenly, the pages began glowing, and I found myself being sucked into the book.

I landed on a wooden floor. Everything around me was faded, as if all color had been drained from the world. It took me a moment to realize I was in Hogwarts. A man passed me by, and from behind I swore it was--

"Professor Dumbledore." A young boy nodded in hello to him as he walked down the staircase.

Dumbledore returned the nod. "Tom," He paused in his steps. "Might I ask you a question?"