Chapter 6

As each mile passed the excitement in Evan's stomach tingled and with desperation he shifted on his driving seat, eager to return home and to his little son. It had been the very first time that he had stayed away from his son for so many hours. Evan wasn't used to this separation from his child and he was definitely not used to this pricking sensation of anxiousness in his chest.

The meeting had been a pain in the a** but otherwise a success overall. And after he had bid the deligates and executives of his family business farewell, Evan had robotically picked up his phone and called Brandan to let him know how he would never ever attend such kind of meetings. If Brandan and Emma couldn't find enough time to manage the business then they could sell this bugger of a company off.

Evan increased the speed of his car as he neared his home. He knew Julius was in good hands, Nora seemed really trustworthy. But something weird was pricking in his heart and a worrysome voice kept knocking at the back of his head making him feel like a freak and wonder if there was something wrong over some where.

Moments after Evan was walking down the pathway to his house with long and quick strides. He noticed how errily quiet the house seemed. It almost felt like there was no one home... and soon Evan discovered that, truly there was no one home. Not even his Julius.

With his heart clogged up in his throat Evan had a long minute of freaking out. His mind stopped working and body felt paralyzed with fear. 

Where was his little boy?

------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ramona kept her eyes glued on Julius as the boy was hooked to a IV drip. He looked fragile but the helpless sobs had stopped and he was sleeping since a while now.

It was a good sign the doctor had said.

Ramona tilted her her head a little to look at Nora who was sitting on the sofa at the other side of the room as the buzzing sound of a phone vibrating filled the silence of the room.

"It's Evan." Stating quietly Nora left the hospital room to talk.

Gently and affectionately Ramona caressed Julius's tiny fingers, they stirred under her touch and Ramona withdrew. She didn't want to disturb his sleep that he needed to fight the flu that he had caught terribly... but the boy was irresistible.

Since the moment she and Nora had brought Julius to the hospital and the forms were filled, Ramona hadn't left the kid's side. As the doctors treated Julius and slowly the kid calmed down to sleep before her eyes, Ramona realized that the sense of fierce protection hadn't still left that she felt for this little child earlier. She couldn't help but kept questioning to herself how was it possible that this cute little Julius was related to such a monster of a man by blood. It was unbelievable that Evan was a father to such an innocent looking boy.

The change of the atmosphere, the sudden built of the heat in the room and brisk thuds of footsteps announced the arrival of that very same man that had corrupted her mind for a while now.

Ramona turned around from the stool beside Julius's bed in time to see Evan striding in. His eyes dark and cloudy in turmoil. And when he looked at Julius's unmoving body on the hospital bed the expression that crossed his face was heartbreaking.

The beast could love and worthy were the people who received that love.

Ramona stood up and moved to the side, allowing Evan space to reach his child. She doubted if he had even noticed her, not that she cared.