Shanks: x reader part 1

(don't judge me but I'm giving shanks an artificial arm... yeah yeah I know it's part of his charm being with only one arm... but he needs two... so just roll with it for my sake please :/ )

Your eyes fill with tears you haven't looked away from the ocean for a long time staring in the direction of your home island. You sat up in the crow nest alone so the others wouldn't see you cry without making a single sound shanks appears behind you. The most solemn look on his face. He stands there watching you quietly for a moment. "Still thinking about your village... man that ruff... what happened down there... I knew the blackcat pirates were horrible... but I never thought they'd wipe out the whole place... I'm really sorry about that." You're startled by the voice of the man standing behind you and you spin around. "Oh... captain shanks... I didn't see you there..." you quickly wipe the tears off your eyes but the redness is a sign you've been crying.

He puts his hand behind his head and scratches the back of his head. "Are you ok though?" you look back out to sea and shake your head. "No... not at all sir..." it was the truth even though you've been trying to forget it, the image of your village burned to ash and your mother's dead burned body was permanently burned into your skull. Shanks sighs and puts his one arm around you. "The boys are rather excited to have you on the ship... they were planning this whole big thing for you... I told them you needed more time... and by the looks of it I was right..." you nod. "I'm sorry to be such a downer sir... it's just... I miss her..." he nods and pulls you into a hug. "I know... I understand... but you shouldn't dwell on it to long... worrying about the past is not going to accomplice anything... because what's done is done..."

You know that but it didn't make you feel better nor did it help you stop thinking about it. You take another look out to sea and then turn back to shanks. "Your right... I've been sad long enough... you said something about a party?" shanks smiles. "I knew you'd fit in well with us... alright come on the boys are waiting for us." As your climbing down you notice shanks has a black arm now where it used to be that there wasn't one. You raise your eyebrow confused. "When did you get that?" he looks at the fake arm and frowns. "I've had it... I just don't like it... it doesn't feel real... it's not the same as having a real arm even though it does move like a real one. So I keep it in my room... I don't use it very often..." you nod only kind of understanding. "So then you put the fake arm on so you could climb up to the crow next and get me?" he nods. "Yup that was the plan..." he jumps down after getting half way and lands skillfully on his feet. You decide that you should climb down more before jumping. Then you jump off the net and land next to shanks.

As soon as your feet touch the ground you hear people inside the ship singing and laughing and having fun. "Looks like they started without us... come on lets go see." Shanks walks over to the door and turns back to you. You have never been to pirate party before you know there is going to be a lot of heavy drinking which was ok when worked at the pub but you never had too much to drink before and you didn't know how it was going to affect you. You follow your captain deciding it would be ok as long as you didn't drink too much.

When shanks opens the door you hear everyone get quiet then as you both walk in they start partying again. A few men break away from the crowd and walk over to you. Shanks smiles and introduces you. "I'd like you to meet my best men Benn, Yasopp, and lucky roo." The three of them just stand there smiling. "I am pleased to meet you." You bow politely like your mother thought you. The four men burst into laughter you have no idea why until it occurs to you that pirates do not act that way. "Are you sure about this captain? She doesn't know the first thing about being a pirate." Yasopp laughs wiping a joyful tear from his eye. You turn red with embarrassment. Shanks shakes his head. "I'd almost be tempted to hear that if I didn't have the image of that village burning to the ground stuck in my head."

The men stop laughing now remembering the events that led to you joining them. Yasopp shakes his head and puts his arm around you. "Come on have a drink with us." You are led away by the three men you turn around to see shanks laughing. He follows the men over to the table as you sit down. Benn passes you a mug you pick it up and look over at them. "I'm not sure..." shanks takes his own mug. "Come on just a few drinks it's not going to hurt you... it doesn't bite..." Benn laughs. "What kind of pirate doesn't like booze?" You turn pink with embarrassment again. "I... don't drink much... but I guess it couldn't hurt."

At first you just take a few drinks every so often but about half way through the mug you take bigger drinks. At first Benn and Yasopp don't notice you're drinking more by your 4th cup everyone is staring. Shanks notices you're starting to act weird so as you're about to drink again he puts his hand over the cup. "No more for you..." he slides the cup away. You frown at him "you first said to drink now you say don't drink... make up your mind..." shanks looks up from his beer to you. "You've had enough... you need to stop now so you can start weapon training tomorrow..." you raise your eye brow. "This is the first I'm hearing of this?" he nods "I only just now decided it... Yasopp... you have time for an underling right?" he nods "yes captain... but can I ask why?" he smiles. "Because as fun as it is protecting the helpless girl I feel it'd be in her best interest to learn how to handle things herself."

Later that night after partying with the crew you follow Yasopp to the room where you will be staying. Because you're the only female on the ship you get your own room. You look around the room it's dusty and dirty. "Why is it so dirty in here..." Yasopp laughs. "Oh we were using this room as storage... but we had moved all the stuff out of here for you... anyway get some rest I'm not going easy on you just because you're a girl." You nod and move your foot across the floor kicking up a cloud of dust. "I don't expect you to I can handle anything you boys can." He nods and leaves. You wait for him to disappear into the boy's room then you grab the broom and clean up the floor a little. You can't help but feel the room is a little boring you decide you'll fix it up later. You look under the bed and see your bag. "Wow they brought it in here for me... so nice of them..."

"I thought you were going to sleep... not clean?" you spin around and see shanks leaning against the door frame. "Oh captain... I didn't see you there... you startled me." He smiles and stands up. "What are you doing anyways?" you put the broom back against the wall and sit down on the bed. "I was just cleaning up the floor a bit... that's all..." he smiles and takes a chair from the other side of the room and pulls it over next to the wall by the bed. You watch him confused. He sits in the chair and leans back against the wall. He closes his eyes and just sits there. "Captain?" he opens one eye. "What go to sleep?"

"So then what are you doing?" you raise your eye brow. He raised his eyebrow and looks at you. "Trying to sleep... why?" "What in here? Why?" he laughs at this and closes his eyes again. "I didn't think you wanted to be all alone... but if I'm wrong you can just say so..." you stare at him for a moment then you shrug you're not about to tell your captain to pise off. You lay down on your bed and roll over facing the other way. You're about to doze off when you hear a faint snoring coming from your captain. You're not sure why but it makes you smile. Soon you also fall asleep.

The next morning you feel something poke you. You jump out of bed startled and you look around. Shanks is nowhere to been seen but Yasopp is there smiling at you. "Come on time to get started! Let's go!" you're a little sad that shanks didn't stick around you wondered when it was that he left. You pull yourself out of bed and grab your bag. "Alright I'll be right out... give me a minute..." he nods and leaves closing the door behind him.