Chapter 54

My breath got caught in my lungs and I ended up staring at him.

"I'm so proud of you" he said in that same husky voice.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. He smiled that crooked smile of his and pulled me into his arms.

"Neymar" I finally managed to whisper.

"Congratulations" he said quietly near my ear, his warm breath tingling my skin in the progress.

"Thank you" I said as I automatically wrapped my arms around his torso.

He kissed my temple. The kiss felt like it was scorching my skin, my mind, the core of my soul. My heart started to flutter and I felt like I was floating on cloud 9. He released me from the hug a second later, but his arms rested on my waist. I gazed into his dreamy eyes, forgetting my surroundings and the world. He looked into mine with an expression I could not decode. I wasn't sure if his face was coming closer or if I was imagining it. Only when his hot breath tickled my upper lip, I realized that I wasn't imagining it. My rational thoughts went out the door as every last cell in my body felt like it crumbled to oblivion at the first contact of his soft lips against mine. The sudden kiss made my knees feel like jelly and if he hadn't held me, I would have surely collapsed. I didn't kiss him back, because I froze by this unexpected kiss. His touch, his kiss, his love were what I had longed for several weeks, maybe even months. This one simple kiss evaporated all my fears, my heartache and my loneliness, even if it was only for a split second. He suddenly pulled away, making a gasp escape my lips. He stared at me and I stared at him, both of us not knowing what to say nor do. A second later reality seeped back into my dazed brain and rationality took over again.

"I...I'm so sorry" he stuttered before I could say anything. "I don't know what has gotten into me" he mumbled.

My brain registered his words, but I wasn't able to reply.

"Fleur, say something" he said softly, worry clouding his face.

"I guess we're even now" I said with a fake smile, referring to that day I had kissed him.