chapter xxx

Word Count: 4, 038 words

CHAPTER XXX. それは不公平だ

---

It was the start of another day and a really peaceful one at that. There were no nuisance early this morning and hopefully until night time comes.

"Natsuko, time for training."

At least it was what was supposed to be an ideal way of sleeping. With a groan, she tried not to tempt herself into rolling out of bed but rather sit on the edge of the bed like a normal person.

But who's to say that anyone in their group was normal. Consisting of a hundred year old Avatar, his almost ten thousand year old spirit, the best waterbending healer, her master sword fighting brother, and a blind earthbender who see things with her feet. And to add the once crowned prince of the Fire Nation added to their merry little band of misfits.

Aang looked at her with a smile, even after telling her about training so she had to wake up much earlier than the rest of them. Katara hadn't even started making breakfast yet.

"Excited?" Natsuko looked at him who still had his smile on his face. It wasn't his goofy smile or his very enthusiastic one but a rather small one as if to reassure something to her. She groaned and walked a bit faster to get it done already.

"I know you're nervous, but remember, firebending in and of itself is not something to fear."

She wasn't nervous, she was drowning in the awkward tension within the three of them. Of course, at first she was happy with seeing this twice traitor prince of the Fire Nation. But after a series of what seemed to be the weirdest transitions to where they are now, it would've felt better to have a bit of breathing space before it led to this.

Aang sighed and looked at Natsuko who had a blank look on her face, "Okay. Not something to fear."

"But if you don't respect it it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino."

The Avatar flinched at the sudden outburst of his master. Even thinking of it sounded weird Training with someone who has followed them everywhere isn't what they had in mind when Aang needed a new firebending master.

Aang looked at Natsuko again who still had the blank expression. It was really hard to pinpoint what was going on inside her head. But let's say that she was still in the process of understanding and letting the system in her mind work before noon.

"Now, show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

It was Aang's first attempt ever since the beginning of the new year. He breathed deeply before remembering the stance Jeong Jeong taught him then released what looked like a puff of smoke from his open palms. He gave Zuko an eeh smile before letting Natsuko do hers.

She opened her palm and out came a small fire, "I suggest you do the same as Aang's,"

Zuko felt weird for bossing her around. Normally, it was the other way around and even if he tried, she would out boss him and she'd still win. It was also unsettling when she breathed deeply and punched fire through her fists, letting out a large considerable amount which was the first time she had done it.

"Maybe I need a little more instruction." Aang suggested and their master nodded. Zuko told them to take a few steps back, demonstrating what shows to be the best amount of fire he could do.

After letting out a frustrated groan and a few more punches, he gave up, "Why is this happening?"

Nighttime came and all when Natsuko gave Appa the hay he had for supper, throwing in little bit of extra since no one was watching. Well, except for Zuko who was being the lonely boy he always shows to be.