chapter xxix

Word Count: 4, 884 words

CHAPTER XXIX. 野となれ山となれ

---

Everybody has been walking on foot for the past few hours under the heat of the summer sun. It wasn't ideal just as everyone would've thought, probably if there was refreshments and a beach nearby it would've been acceptable.

That was what was running through Natsuko's mind, trying to stray away from the failure of an invasion they could've pulled off. Of course the Dai Li could've told Azula, learning that they have been in the Fire Nation serving them after abandoning their own King.

"This is humiliating."

Damn right it was, Natsuko has already taken the fact that she took humiliation and opened her arms to a new family of unsuccessful experiences. It didn't help her feeling less guilty when Sokka tried to lighten up the mood too, honestly everyone was feeling the guilt.

Most of them did not want to leave anyone behind, Natsuko and Aang just felt bad for not realizing how big of a cheat it all was when it was painfully obvious. Their stubbornness was the only thing that kept them from keeping everyone safe and finally putting an end to the ongoing war for a hundred years.

"Do you mean getting thoroughly spanked by the Fire Nation or having to walk all the way to the Western Air Temple?" Sokka's sarcasm made him sound like he wasn't affected by the failed invasion at all whilst Katara's sigh and tone of expression in her voice showed the exact opposite, "Both."

"Sorry, guys, but Appa gets tired carrying all these people." Appa grunted as if to agree with what Aang just said, either that or the other way around.

The rest of them made conversations with each other and after Sokka letting out loud the thought of not having blisters on his feet, he noticed Natsuko mending the wool while sewing and walking as if it wasn't a big deal, "Why are you sewing?"

She snapped back at Sokka, "The heat is making you see things, boy."

As per usual, he was supposed to retort at what Natsuko was clearly doing but was cut off by Toph.

Toph let her foot down with a loud stomp and stopped. Usually it meant one thing, "Hey, we're here. I can feel it."

Usually, it did mean that they reached the place, so it was unusual to see the place when it wasn't visually there.

"I think your feet need their eyes checked." everyone looked around to see an Air Temple which should be massive in size, but all they saw was the rift that separates the two sections of land they were seeing, at least with their eyes.

"No, she's right, we are here." Natsuko perked up to see the landscape and remembered of what was told to her about the wonderful structure of how the Western Air Temple was built. She didn't know, even the Avatar's who were not of Air Nomad descent didn't.

Whenever the Avatar's had to master all four elements, the Western Air Temple always had their doors closed to them and it wasn't always when the Avatar came from their temple. By the time they flew down to the place, she was mesmerized.

The Western Air Temple was beneath the grounds just like the many catacombs of each nation, but it served as a home to thousands of Air Nomads. If she were to be told that there was also an underwater Water Tribe, she wouldn't be that surprised. Well, intrigued, clearly, but surprised? Maybe if they also breathed underwater.

"It's so different from the Northern Air Temple. I wonder if there are any secret rooms." Teo started then Haru pitched up an idea, "Let's go check it out."

parallel linesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें