chapter xxiii

Word Count: 3,679 words

CHAPTER XXIII: 毒を以て毒を制す

---

"We are at war, with the Fire Nation."

The King took a heavy toll on what he expected was a life of peace, living away from society, locked away from the world when it could all be gone in a matter of minutes. He listened to Sokka's plan of invasion during the Solar Eclipse, as well as learning about the comet that could be more destructive than anyone could imagine. Even if it was too much for just one day or would render them defenseless as they already are, "You have my support."

As they celebrated, one of the generals and the leader of the Council of Five; which was one of the highest-ranking generals of Ba Sing Se; interrupted their small celebration, bringing news about letters that have been kept by Long Feng hidden in his office, secret files that have been intercepted from every person in the city. They passed on the many letters which included one to Aang, "This scroll was attached to the horn of your bison when the Dai Li captured it."

"I can't believe it, there's a man living at the Eastern Air Temple." Aang kept rereading the scroll many times, "He says he's a guru. He said he wants to help me take the next step in the Avatar journey. He says he can teach me to control the Avatar State."

The rest of them were unsurprisingly doubtful of what the guru's intentions were, if he really was one, and looked to Natsuko for confirmation, "Yeah, yeah, I'll come with."

Next day was the day of their departure, Sokka will be spending time with his father and Aang and Natsuko will be going to the Eastern Air Temple for his Avatar State, leaving Katara alone in the for the strategic planning of the invasion with the Council of Five and Toph who is excited to visit her mom after running away from home.

After they left Sokka at Chameleon Bay, the ride to the Eastern Air Temple was quiet except for chatters from Momo and growls from Appa. Natsuko was lying on the bison's bare back, the fear of falling was still there, so was her grip on her glider.

"Hey." Natsuko perked up at the sound of Aang's low and uncertain voice, "Do you really think that I should be able to master the Avatar State to defeat the Fire Lord?"

She thought deeply, "I think you should. After all, I may be physically there with you but my body's motionless when I lend you my strength, there's no guarantee of what would happen if something were to happen to it."

"But what about mastering fire?" of course he would ask that, not only was he scared of hurting Katara again but so was the reason that they were controlling poison with poison, literally fighting fire with fire so she replied with, "It depends on you, boy. That's what the journey's about."

"Then why did you come with me then?" Aang was glad that the two got to talk to each other again, feeling the large wall in between them without realizing it, "So that you won't make a fool of yourself."

She could sense Aang's frustration with the half-assed responses she was giving him throughout the conversation, "Aang."

His head perked at the sound of his name, the first time this year after meeting his spirit, "This man has been around for more than you know and I believe him when he says that he can help you."

"And you can't?" she shook her head.

"I could lend you my strength, but that's about it."

He pushed his knees to his chest, laying his head on it, his face expressing deep thought at the words she has been giving him. Aang was a kid, not half-witted. He knew when people kept more than what they wanted to say, so did Natsuko. But sometimes things are better left unsaid for the most part to reveal grandeur on the latter. That's what they remember most after arriving to the Eastern Air Temple, seeing Guru Pathik who offered his knowledge to Aang.