[10]

It was like you brought colour into my life.

You changed my life,

all by yourself.

-Sawako Kurnonuma

Uneasy. The simplest way to put it. Usually I'd feed off of the ego boost I should have been getting from this very moment. The stares of admiration and acclaim, the fawning and gawking of the men who had long forgotten their partners for the night, the envious glares of neglected wives and mistresses the servers who halted their tedious work to get a glimpse of the absolute masterpiece of a garment, usual reactions caused by me entering one of these events. Unfortunately for me, right now as I stood at the top of the luxurious grand ball entrance surrounded by fine porcelain vases of exquisitely arranged gypsophila, hyacinthus, convallaria majalis and rosa my confidence withered like a starved flower releasing its weakened petals.

The lump that was unknowingly formed in my esophagus had been swallowed harshly, the ghost of a wince smacked my featured for what seemed like the smallest increment of time. In a small instance my bravado had flew out of the window and I felt the small beads of sweat starting to form on my palms within the sheer gloves I sported. I yearned for some form of comfort. At that moment, though my expression remained coy outwardly, I felt like a new born all over again, helpless and scared. The comfort my body craved could not be given by anyone other than the annoyingly handsome Butler I had grown fond of.

Darting my eyes across the dance floor, time seemed to have been frozen for a brief moment. 'I need him.' I cried inwardly. I felt his presence but my eyes would simply not let him be found. My hand lifted, resting it on the nearest banister. "Madame, the gentleman is waiting to escort you at the bottom of the staircase." The announcer whispered to me discretely, snapping me out of the strange trance I found myself in. Instantly, I felt the strong dark presence calling out to my heart, as if it were telling me to lift my head. No. . . It was telling me to lift my head.

'Lift your head, Goddess of the night and let your heart find me.' I felt an unholy warmth fill my being, I knew by that moment, my pupils had long turned. Thankful to my mask who's intricacies distracted onlookers long enough to not take notice of the piercing lavender, my head slowly rose and my gaze fixated itself on the chest of a man with a familiar crest.

'Higher, look at me, and only me.' The voice called out once more. On it's command my eyes trailed upwards, to finally meet those beautiful scarlet eyes. They squinted slightly, the corners of his lips turned upwards forming the sweetest smile. My heart fluttered. . . painfully. 'Come to me, my dearest [First Name].'

The voice was soothing. It relaxed the muscles in my legs as they began to glide down the large staircase. The watchful eye of the patrons following me along as I reached the bottom to be immediately swept up by the butler my body mind and soul longed for. His gloved hand took mine, his lips meeting the back in an instant. "Just like I imagined, you are the bell of the ball, my beautiful damsel." He murmured against my hand before lifting his head, letting those piercing fuchsia pupils meet my glassy lavender ones.