[8]

We ruin the countries we govern

and the people in our care.

We slaughter our enemies

and sacrifice our allies.

We'll keep killing till there's nothing left

but to destroy ourselves,

It will never be enough.

- Vlad Dracula III, Prince of Wallachia

Despair: A term used to describe the complete loss or absence of hope

She laid in bed with open eyes, fixated on the intricate ceiling. The space in the bed next to her had now gone ice cold. She was unsure as to why the salty water welled up to the back of her eyes, spilling out of the far corners, down her cheek. Her fingers gripped at the thin sheets that covered her frame. Her chest hurt, her head throbbed, her eyes burned.

It was like everything that came crashing down on her all at once. These feelings she harbored and developed in just a full twenty four hours, the past assignments that wrenched woman had sent her on, all because of a damned contract.

The politics of the underworld were pretty much identical to the rules of the surface. Though the only difference were the creatures that harbored the place of [First Name]'s origins. She thought back to her first experience at the surface, she was young and naïve, so trusting and happy after being summoned to be a concubine of the first kings and queens of the realms history, but with every thousand years that passed, the more she became the complete opposite.

So here she laid, defeated and sad, hopeless, self loathing, self hating, every negative adjective one can possibly think of. It was in her nature to reject feelings of true love, only to focus on lust and satisfaction and to make her partners waver in emotions for her to feed. It was her job to make people fall in love with her and take everything from them once they had fallen too deep, but the roles were now reversed, for in a short time she met a demon who had slowly began overturning all the ideals she grew up to follow.

She knew she should not have harbored these kinds of feelings for the demon, the relationship between the two kinds of creatures taboo and forbidden, but like the playful type she was, and with the way she was brought up she lived by one main directive: 'Rules are meant to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind'. So, if that was her one resolve, why was it so hard now to let her emotions for the demon pour out like endless floods of crystal clear water, or grow wild like tropical plants in the Amazon?