Failed Experiment

We drive for hours in the dark, Austin driving because Alan can't drive the bus, and of course I'm too young to drive, so we sit in the bunk area huddling next to each other, Alan's arm around me comforting me.
We don't talk much. We have the occasional "do you want something to eat?" and Alan telling bad jokes to try cheer me up 'thanks Alan hehe.'

We pull over on the side of the road after driving as far as we can away could from the cabins, and call it a night.
Alan goes to his bunk, and of course I share a bunk with Austin again, I feel safe with him and it's probably the only way I'd be able to sleep, and of course I slip into dreaming within a few minutes.

I wake up and look around the bus, where is everyone?
I climb out of bed, and walk into the lounge area, but no one is there, I check the kitchen and drivers seat- nothing, and there's a deadly quiet silence.
Something seems really off- I open the door and look left- then right and find Alan and Austin laying on the ground of the side of the bus being eaten by walkers.

"Nori, Nori!?" I hear Austin say, shaking me.

"Huh?" I say confused, opening my eyes and realising that it was all a dream and I had woken Austin and Alan up from my tossing and turning, possibly screaming too.

"It's all a bad dream, you're okay" he says, looking at me concerned, and patting me on the head and turning back over to go to sleep.
I decide this was a good time to get some water, so I shuffle out to the kitchen still shaken up from that dream- and I notice my hair is wet 'had I been sweating? Gross,'

I walk back to the bunks after gulping down a glass of water and climb over austin to my spot and sleep, this time without any terrifying nightmares.

Day 10

A week passes of quiet travelling and stealing people's fuel (from abandoned cars) to keep the bus going, we'd pull over at little towns or gas stations and find supplies and continue on our way since the zombie apocalypse has only just started and supplies aren't that hard to find, yet.
We don't really know where we're going- but we just stay on the move until we find a suitable place to camp.
We rarely see people, ones that are alive anyway, and we've noticed that there isn't just one type of walker, there's many. So far we've encountered the plain zombie- sluggish and slow and which has no intelligence at all.
And we've seen a few others, which are a lot more dangerous.
We've driven past some which are fast- and seem to have some intelligence, and which can hunt, they don't group together, I don't believe they communicate- but when they hear our vehicle they hide and wait for us to drive past- and chase the bus.
And another which makes this deafening roar- it'll make you drop to the ground and block your ears, and it can also mimic humans.
On the third day on the road, we heard screams- and of course we jumped off the bus to help, but the screams led to a zombie, we watched first hand as it yelped sounding scarily human.
'What did my dad get up to in the lab?'
I say to myself sitting in the lounge area looking out the window 'was this a failed experiment? Did my dad create this mess?'