twenty seven

"Lowery!" I exclaimed, running into the control room. He was typing madly, looking across the screens. Claire was watching over his shoulder as Emily laid her arm across his shoulder.

"Oh got you're here." Claire huffed, sending a hand through her orange hair. I stalked up to her, looking over her shoulder. I started to hear the static.

"What's going on?" I asked, seeing a million words on the screen, his fingers flying across the keyboard.

"The alarms went off in the lab, so we went in and found it trashed. The carnivore eggs were stolen, and the embryos have gone missing." Emily paused, "Then our radios were intercepted, filling with this static. Lowery is trying to figure out who is causing the static."

"Do you guys know who took the eggs and embryos?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest, my foot tapped the ground repeatedly. I was worried about Tess, about Gena...

"Yes, you're not gonna like it," Emily covered her mouth and nose with her hands.

"Who was it?" I snapped, growing inpatient. She let out a shaking breath, nodding for me to follow her. We walked over to another computer, and she typed a few things before a video popped up. She hit play, allowing it to roll.

I saw three people, only one I recognized was Gena. Her mulberry purple hair was crazy as she stumbled in. She was being held at gunpoint by one of the figures, which I couldn't see their face, but I could tell it was a man.

She authorized something, allowing it to open. It held a bunch of cylindrical things with what I was guessing, the embryos. The man shoved her away, grabbing out a can of shaving cream. He popped the bottom open, stuffing them into this thing inside it.

"They forced Gena to do this wh-" I saw the guys hood fall back, showing a full head of blonde hair. I unfolded my arms, grabbing the sides of the desk with wide eyes. The third figure turned, looking at the camera. I saw him hold the gun up, pulling the trigger.

I jumped slightly, taking a breath to steady the thumping in my chest. I closed my eyes, holding my head low.

"Replay the last seconds slowly." She did as I commanded, rewinding the footage until she replayed it, showing the man pull out his gun. I slammed my hand on the space bar, pausing the video.

"Those hands! I know them." I took in the appearance of them, seeing a small cut over his mid knuckle on his index finger.

"Careful with her, she might be restrained in her halter, but she can still buck or scratch." I saw the man rolling his eyes, leaning towards Blue. His hand laid gently on her rough skin, she bucked in the halter.

"Blue! It's okay girly!" I laid a hand on the space between her eyes. She calmed down, chirping once she was calm. He moved his hand down the side near her mouth.