three

[2022 update-- I am revisiting this novel now that the conclusion to the JW trilogy is out. That being said, some things may change as the story goes on. I am reworking some plot points to better align with the JW canon. Due to the editing process, the story may be a bit janky at times. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy.]

I slouched my shoulders as I followed Owen. All the workers around me were either staring at me, or ignoring me. I looked up, but was met with his broad shoulders. They were pressed apart, while the shirt seemed tight in the back. Hot damn.

I didn't bother speaking to him as we walked, only because the silence was comforting; also I was still little sleepy. When we reached the stairs, he stepped back for me. So, I walked up the stairs with him behind me. I was praying, hoping that the reason he made me go first so he wouldn't be looking at my butt, because he has done it before.

"Finally," she breathed out "I've been waiting for minutes now."

"Shut up, it has only been two." I snapped. What? I just woke up from small nap!

"I'm still capable of firing you." She replied with an even tone.

"Then do so, I don't care. If you really want fire me, then just do it already." she just grunted, turning her eyes. She turned to the door, and steps through, leaving me stunned.

Owen just looked up at me while I looked at him, curious and confused. I always questioned why she didnt fire me, I was always giving her shit, ND I noyes the pics out of her whenever I was around. It just surprised me that she actully didn't.

"Go on, Tess." Owen beckoned me forward, well- he actually push me a little bit. His fingers are very soft, and warm. I didn't know how his fingers could actually calm me down. I took a step, walking into the room.

Owen walk through the door, and he instantly shifted into his serious mode. It was so weird how earlier he was making sexual jokes, now he was just solid as a rock.

"So you just went and made a new dinosaur, just like Tess said?" Owen paused in front of the thick plexiglass with his arms folded, hands tucked under his rib cage. I furrowed my eyebrows in a concentrated manner.

"Not such a good idea," I added to his line. Claire just huffed, walking over to a small Control Panel. She pressed a button.

"So, what is this dinosaur hybrid of?" Owen questioned, shifting on his feet. I currently was distracted by the big crack near Claire's head. It was an insane sight. Seriously, how could a dinosaur crack plexiglass that thick?

Owen and I groaned, not receiving an answer from Claire. So I took another step forward, asking about the hybrid.

"What can it do, exactly?" I looked away from the crack, into the captivity. It was like the Raptors cage; only it was bigger, and had dense forestry.

"it can see your thermal signature, like a snake." I shuttered, grabbing my biceps. When I was a child she was bit by a snake, I was rushed to the hospital and given antivenom. So, if you can't tell, I hate snakes.

She tapped a couple buttons, and that was when I saw a small crane bringing down food. I turned towards her, furious.

"That's how you feed that damn thing!" I gripe more than I question, pointing at the crane. Glaring, I turn to Claire, my face red.

"Yes, we tried to feed her normally. She tried to eat two of our workers, so to ensure their safety we had to do this."

"Yes but you give her no social interaction, she doesn't get her food from real people, she doesn't have any other creatures to socialize with. I bet the only social interaction she has is from that crane." I ranted, slightly irritated. If you raise an animal in captivity, with no social interaction, things are likely to get bad.