eight

Sam

"You gotta jump Gray." I paused, looking down at the rocks and the rushing water. He looked uneasy, but he knew I was right, so he listened. His feet ran forward with ours, and we splashed into the water.

I opened my eyes, looking over at the two boys. They were looking at eachother until they met my eyes. I pointed downwards, holding a finger to my closed mouth. They nodded, swimming in circles as bubbles trailed out of their noses. A minute later I resurfaced, glancing up for any sign of the weird dinosaur.

I dived back down, pointing upwards. Seconds later they met the surface with a gasp. I started to swim towards the shore, while my blonde hair stuck to my face. I was starting to get uncomfortable, due to the shorts I was wearing.

When I got to the muddy shore, I helped the two boys before myself. I flopped onto my back, glancing at the two.

"What was that?" Zach was looking at Gray. He shook his head, looking at me.

"It looks like a Rex, but it acts like a raptor." Zach just seemed confused with my words. I pressed myself up onto my butt.

"Whatever it is will be coming back, So I suggest we keep looking for the island. Sam, you know a trail?" he asked. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"When I said I was the sister of an employee doesn't mean I know the entire place. I'm not allowed in restricted areas, dummy."

"You love us." I rolled my eyes. I felt the throbbing in the back of my head grow more intense.

"I've only know you for five hours dummy." Zach smiled, pushing himself up. I held my hand out to Gray, yanking him up onto his feet.

"Okay boys. Follow me." I started to walk towards the forest. I turned to see Zach standing.

"Let's get going Zach! Don't have all day!"

"Owen! There." I pointed, tightly holding onto the back of Claire's seat. Once he pulled to a stop a few feet away, I pushed myself out towards the gyrosphere. I stopped infront, covering my mouth at the sight. It was smashed, scratxhed, and damaged all over. I felt a sob catch in my throat.

I felt his presence behind me as he walked forward, grabbing a tooth out of the glass. It was long, thick, and very dingy. I took a couple steps forward. This was worse then seeing all of the dead Apatosaurus, while Claire and Owen were soothing it while it was dying. I was rubbing it's neck not trying to cry. I loved dinosaurs, I loved animals.

"Oh god it ate them." Claire grabbed my shoulders, pressing her head into my shoulder that hurt. Tears were starting to soak my shirt. They had to be okay, they couldn't be dead...

"Wait." I paused, stepping forward. I dropped to my knees, inching towards the object.

"What is that?"

"Sam's hat. And look, there's a phone. Is it Zach's?" I asked, turning towards Claire. I saw her nod, a small glimpse of hope in her face. I gripped her hat, feeling a flood of emotions.

"Here honey, take this. I'll come back safe." his feet passed through the door, clutching onto his duffle bag. I felt a knot in my stomach.

"Thanks, dad." I whispered, watching as he got into his truck. I felt my sister run up to me, wrapping her arms around my hips. I didn't want to see me dad go back to war, I really didn't want to.

"Hey sis, what did dad give you?" I looked down, seeing his dark black baseball cap with the Marines in the middle. I smiled, turning towards her.