twenty four

We all make decisions in life; whether it be as small as your next meal, or large like saving a persons life. Usually I was the one to help people choose, to guide them to the right answer. That is why I was the beta, I helped the pack choose ways to benefit itself. Except now, I'm a beta without a pack. Yeah I still have Owen, and Blue, it just doesn't feel the same anymore.

"Here," a tray of food was set in front of me "I hope you like it."

"I love it Owen, thanks." I picked up my fork, taking a bite of the rice.

"Are you okay?" he placed his hand near mine. I sighed, taking a bite.

"That's a no." he whispered, looking at me with a sigh.

"I can't work with Blue anymore." I stabbed at a piece of chicken, taking a bite. "I don't want to work with the future raptors, I am done with carnivores."

"Tess you can't b-" I dropped the fork, giving him a serious look.

"Owen, it hurts to much. I can't work with her, I won't work with her." This was my decision, even if it was a poor one.

"What happened to you? It has been three months since the accident, and this past week you haven't been yourself. What happened to my Tess?" I stayed quiet, picking up my fork and playing with my dinner.

"Are you gonna answer or?" I glanced at him, sighing.

"I need some air." I stood up, grabbing the tray. He grabbed my wrist, causing me to look at him with livid eyes.

"Sit." I yanked my arm away, walking towards the door of the canteen. I ignored the calls from Owen and the questioning glances. I dropped the tray into the garbage, yanking the handle of the door open.

"Hey! Tess!" I saw Kai walking towards me with a smile.

"Hi. I'll talk to you later." I smiled, patting his shoulder as I walked past him. I turned a quick corner, hearing Owen call my name. I pressed myself behind a small space in the wall, breathing heavily.

Why I wasn't acting like myself? My sister was drafted into the Marines; just like she planned. I knew she only meant to do good and serve our home country, I just still couldn't get over the dangers.

Usually most women in the arm do Intel, or work with service animals. Then there was that ten percent, the ten percent of women who went into the field. The ones who were well able, who could fight like a man. I was afraid of Sam becoming that ten percent.

Also? Five new raptors are hatching in the next two days, and I didn't want anything to do with them. They wouldn't replace my girls, yet Owen was reluctant to work with them.

"Hey Gena!" I heard Owen call out. I laid my head back into the brick, closing my eyes tightly.

"What's up Raptor Man?"

"Have ya seen Tess around? She's unstable," I scoffed, soon coveting my mouth. I hope no one heard that, especially him. I haven't even told him about Sam's decision, because he would be hoping she was the one on the battlefield.

"Nope haven't seen Tesseract around." I smiled at the nickname. She did it as a joke at first, yet it grew into a nickname that everyone used.

"You sure?"

"Owen, if I wasn't sure I wouldn't have told you." I heard the crunching of gravel signalling her departure. I heard a sigh, before he walked away too.

I knew Owen meant well, but I needed my space. All this working, training, and trying to get the preserve up and functioning wasn't working for me. Now that Sam was leaving in the next week had me in pieces.

I pulled out my cellphone, seeing the familiar three bars. I opened up my contacts, ringing a familiar phone number.

"Hey Tesseract." Ryder's deep voice rumbled, sending some relief down my body. In the past three months we have grown close. He was like my dad, insane.

"Hey Cowboy." I took a step from behind the wall.

"What's up?" I glanced from being the building, seeing no sign of Owen.

"Well, just left my hiding spot. Is it alright if I come over? I need someone to talk to." I rubbed my nose, quickly jogging across the gravel.

"Why don't you just talk to your boyfriend Owen?" he asked.

"Owen and I aren't together." I snapped. "Besides, I like talking to you cowboy."

"Alrighty, want me to crack out the ice cream?" I chuckled, walking down a small path towards the employees apartments.

"Mint if you have it." I replied, taking a step over a fallen tree.

"Alright, see you soon Tess." I smiled, reaching the door.

"More like a couple of minutes."

×=×

"I just... Ugh!" I stabbed the spoon into my tub of ice cream. Ryder glanced away from his bowl of rocky road.

"It's not the upcoming raptors you're afraid of Tess," Ryder licked the chocolate off the spoon "You're afraid of losing them."

I understood what he meant. I didn't want to lose the memory of Charlie, Delta, and Echo. I didn't want to move on with the new raptors.

"Yeah." I licked the minty deliciousness off my spoon.

"Do what you want, it will benefit you in the end." I laid back into the couch more.

"Thanks so much Ry, you're awesome." I finished the rest of the ice cream quickly.

"Anytime Tess, I'm always here." I stood up, taking a breath.

"I've gotta go home, talk to Sam." he nodded, standing up from his spot. I set the bowl down, giving him a hug. His hugs were warm and nice, like a big bear. He always smelled like a campfire, which was amazing,

"Goodnight!" I left, walking down the hall until I reached the door. I pressed through, only to bet met by a familiar figure on a bike.

"So you're stalking me now, Owen?" I walked past the brunette, not even making eye contact.

"I wouldn't consider it stalking, more like caring for my hormonal and psychotic girlfriend." I rolled my eyes.

"Not your girlfriend." I sang, turning around while I continued to walk backwards.

"Yeah, you are." He continued walking his home towards me, alternating the balance with every other foot.

"Not.. I don't remember being asked." I replied, tapping my finger to chin.

"Well, this is me, asking." I paused, seeing him walk the bike until it was touching my legs. He leaned forward, allowing the red flannel he was wearing to slip. I laid my forearms on the handles.

"Asking what?" I leaned forward playfully, meeting his green eyes with my grey (a/n: not greg) eyes. He smirked, leaning towards my ear.

"Asking you to be my girlfriend." the way his breath hit my neck caused goosebumps up my arms, giving me chills all over. I tapped my fingers to the metal.

"Only if you want to." he added on. I smirked, moving my hands to his jaw. I pulled back, looking at his features. His eyes were bright, his slightly orange brown hair was messy, and his stubble was still patchy.

"Yeah, I want to." I replied, moving my thumb against the skin of his patchy beard.

"Good." He grabbed my cheeks and kissed me.

"Mmm, minty fresh." Smack.

ו×

*facepalm* Owen... I swear..

-onlyjeffery