When One Player Meets Another (Chapter 10)

Start from the beginning

“No!” I said hastily throwing my hands up, “No, no, no that’s fine!

“Why do act so surprised? You told me to be cheap.”

“But I didn’t think you’d listen.” I stated.

Max raised eyebrow, “I always listen.”

I scoffed, “Yeah right.”

“I do.”

“Then why don’t you let me date other people when you do?”

“This again?” Max asked, and I narrowed my eyes.

“Answer the question.”

“Just because I listen to you doesn’t mean I’m going to act upon it. For instance you said you want me to be cheap,” he said with a sigh, as he flopped back down on the bed from the sitting position he had worked himself into, “I heard you so now I don’t bribe your teachers, or get you expensive dresses but…”

He rolled over on his side and looked at me, “I got us this super expensive hotel room and will buy us expensive room service. I listened, but am not going to act upon some things. I heard you all of the 21.5 times you’ve complained-“

“21.5?”

He pointed a finger at me, “At one point, you opened your mouth to complain, then shut your mouth, got all huffy, and walked away, which counts as half… which I guess means I listen to what you don’t say too.”

“Sometimes,” I mumbled under my breath, and Max looked up.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that?”

“Nothing.”

“Summer…” Max bit his lip, and under the light of the gleaming golden sun I couldn’t, his hair messy from sleep I couldn’t help but feel he looked sort of… cute.

You know, in a little kid way.

“You’re my girlfriend, I’ll always listen to you. It’s my job as your other half.” He joked, tracing a heart in the air.

I punched him on the arm.

“Ow…” He mumbled rubbing his arm and I rolled my eyes.

Then he looked at me all joking aside, “I’m serious Summer. You may think I’m not, that I’m just saying things, but the truth is; you are my girlfriend, and I do listen to what you have to say. You may just think that your one in a thousand girls but what those girls say… goes in one ear and out the other. You’re the only girl who says anything that I file away, I remember what you have to say, and I listen to it. There’s only one other woman who I do that for and that’s my mom.”