Chapter nine

*Dans pov*
It had been two days since Phil had found out that I cut. I had promised to stop for him, but my wrists were itching.

I scrambled to the bathroom to find the blade in which my wrists craved. It was exactly where I had left it.

Phil didn't have a reason to hide it, I promised I would stop and he trusted me. He trusted me and I broke a promise. Another reason to hate myself.

I dug the blade deep into my skin and dragged it across my wrist. I did this several times before putting the blade back in its hiding place.

My phone buzzed and the screen lit up.
New message : PJ
I unlocked my phone to see what he wanted.
Hey Dan, can you come round mine? I need to talk to you about something.
I text him back
Sure, be there in a few minutes.

I straightened my hair because I can't stand my ugly hobbit hair. My subscribers say it's cute but I strongly disagree. I left a note for Phil, who was asleep, and left to go meet PJ.
-

*PJs pov*
I heard a knock on the door and knew it must have been Dan. I opened the door.
"Hey Dan, glad you could make it"
"No problem peej. What did you want to talk about?"

I needed to tell Dan a secret and I needed advice. I text Phil too but, he must have been asleep.
"It's Chris." I say, my cheeks turning a light pink. "I think I... like him? More than a friend I mean"

"Aww" Dan giggled. I could feel my cheeks burning red.
"So do you think I should tell him or what? What do I do Dan?"
Dan thought for a few minutes before grinning widely.

"You should definitely tell him how you feel. I'm sure he likes you too."
"Okay." I replied. We then talked about Chris some more, and Phil, and other things.

We had been chatting for an hour and a half before Dan decided to leave. As he waved goodbye I noticed red lines across his arm. Does Dan cut? I'd never think Dan would self harm in any way. I frowned but didn't say anything as Dan had already started walking down the street.

*Dans pov*
I walked away from PJs house thinking it was cute how PJ liked Chris. However my thoughts were soon interrupted after a stranger pushed me down.

"Die emo scum" he spat. He kicked me repeatedly whilst his friends laughed. I heard them all saying things like "emo fringe" and "gay faggot".

I lay there wishing for it to end. The last kick was to my face and after that I blacked out.

*PJs pov*
I thought about Dans advice for a while and decided I would tell Chris that I liked him. It has started to rain so I pulled on a jacket and headed out the door.

The street was empty except except for me and someone else. Although that person was lay on the floor. I hurried over to see if the person was okay and realised it was Dan.

Dan was lay limp on the wet ground. He had a black eye and a small amount of blood leaking from somewhere.
I shook his shoulders "Dan, are you okay?"

I called an ambulance as soon as he didn't reply. I was worried for my friend, I had no idea what had happened to him. He could have been dead for all I know. I checked his pulse whilst waiting for he ambulance to come. I can't feel a pulse.

I watched over my (dead?) friend until I heard the sirens. I saw the blue flashes reflecting in the puddles next to Dan. They immediately took him into the ambulance and let me in so that I could stay with him.

I called Chris to tell him the news and I decided that I wouldn't tell him how I felt today.

-

*Phils pov*
I walked into the front room and found a note left on the table.

Phil,
I've gone to PJs. If I'm not back by 12:00 then call or text me.
Love,
Dan

I looked at my phone to check the time, which seemed to be 11:30. So I'm guessing Dan will come home in half an hour.

-

It had been 40 minutes so, Dan should have been home by now.
12:10.
I'll just wait another 10 minutes and if he doesn't come home, I'll call him.

12:20.
I decided to call Dan as I was starting to get worried. PJ doesn't live too far away so, it doesn't take 20 minutes for him to walk home.

It was raining and I had a bad feeling.
I called Dan. It rang once, twice.

"Phil!"
"PJ? Where's Dan?"
"I was just about to call you after I finished talking to Chris."
"Where's Dan?"
"H-He's in hospital"

There was a silence.

"H-How?" I asked.

"I don't know what happened.
I just found him...lying in the street.
He has a black eye and there wasn't a pulse"

I hung up, grabbed my keys and sprinted out of the door. I locked it as fast as I could and ran down the street.
I arrived at the hospital and asked the receptionist which room Dan Howell was in. '117' she said.

I rushed through the corridors and burst through the door labelled 117. I almost broke down when I saw Dan lay in the hospital bed with bandages on both arms and a black eye like PJ had said.

PJ welcomed me with a hug, I hadn't even noticed him sat next to Dan.
"I'm going to go back home Phil, okay?"
"Okay" I replied to PJ.

Just as PJ left the room, a doctor entered with a clipboard.
"PJ Liguori?" The doctor asked.
"No, he left. I'm Phil Lester, Dans best friend"

"Okay, Phil, I'm afraid I have some bad news."