Chapter Thirty

(Two weeks later)

I rolled my eyes as Dick gave me another lecture about why I shouldn't be out as Nuit and bla bla blah.

"Emma! Are you even listening!?" he exclaimed drawing my attention away from the street below.

"Yes dear."

"What did I just say?" He asked narrowing his eyes challengingly.

"Uh..." I trailed off glancing around. "Oh! Look a robbery in process!"

I quickly shot my grappling hook and swung down to the street a few feet away from the jewelry shop.

Several men wearing ski masks and holding pistols where trying to break into the store and I made my way over casually, while Dick came after me.

I walked up behind the guys and cleared my throat. They all turned to look at me and I smiled.

"Hey boys. Whatcha doing?"

Some tried to run while others pointed their guns at me.

"Bring it." I hissed.

They looked uncertain but the two larger ones rushed forward not even caring they had guns.

Right before they reached me I dropped down and swept their feet out from under them, making them hit the cement hard. I popped back up and grabbed some throwing knifes from the band on my left ankle and hurdling them at another guy, pinning him to the wall.

The last remaining guy dropped his gun and put his hands up. I pushed him to the ground and pulled off his mask revealing a kid around thirteen or fourteen.

I looked at him for a few seconds before glancing at the others. "How old are you?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"I would actually." I growled tightening my grip on the back of his beck.

He squirmed and looked up at me with fear. "Twelve."

"Why would you tell her!" The guy pinned to the wall yelled.

I went up to him and he moved back into the wall some. "He was following instructions, now I suggest you do the same unless you want to end up in juvenile detention."

I flicked his nose and turned back to the kid that was still on the ground. "What's your name?"

He remained silent and I sighed. "Fine, whatever."

Dick came back with another kid slung over his shoulder. He set him next to the one on the ground and glanced over at me.

"They're just kids." I said softly.

"So were we. So was Jase. Tim's just a kid and look what he's doing already. They knew what they were getting into." he replied being as stubborn as I expected.

"But we all had someone to look up to, that tried to help us. Maybe these kids don't. And what will throwing them in a detention facility do hmm? Make it even worse." I said glaring at him.

"Nuit-"

"What if it was our kid?" I interjected making his mouth shut. "Would you send them to jail or give them another chance?"

"That's not fair!"

"It's perfectly fair! Didn't dad always say everyone deserves another chance!? That's why his rules exist!"

"We're not going to kill them!" He exclaimed.

"But the cops might!!" I snapped back.

He sighed and held the bridge of his nose while I walked over to the two boys on the ground.

"Besides, look how cute they are." I said pinching their cheeks.

"Nuit."

"Please!" I pleaded pouting my lip and pulling the boys into an embrace. "I promise to watch them!"

"Their kids not dogs."

I continued to pout and hold them and I could tell he rolled his eyes under his mask.

"I'd rather go to prison." the one still pinned against the wall snapped.

"See." Dick said gesturing to the kid.

"I don't!"

"Me neither!"

The two I currently had my arms wrapped around exclaimed hugging me back tightly.

"See."

Dick glared at me and all three of us gave him puppy dog eyes.

"Please we swear we'll behave just let us go!" one boy pleaded.

Dick finally caved when he heard the police sirens and sighed in defeat. "Fine."

He pulled the other kid off the wall and he went over to his buddies helping them up before running off.

Dick glanced at the two still clinging to me and motioned for them to go. "You two are free to go."

The smaller boy Dick captured shook his head frantically and held my waist tighter.

"They'll kill us." the other spoke glancing the direction the others went.

"We messed up they'll get rid of us."

I looked up at Dick and he glared at me. "NO!"

"But-!"

"No no no!"

"Nightwing! Please!! They'll get hurt!" I begged.

"They have their own families!"

"We're actually orphans." One muttered.

"Of course you are." he growled crossing his arms over his chest. "We already have a kid on the way we don't need two more!"

"I see you take after Bruce." I mumbled sarcastically.

He narrowed his eyes angrily and I regretted saying it.

"Fine. Keep them. Since your like your dad so much."

"Dick I didn't-"

"Save it. I'll see you back at the apartment." He said harshly before shooting his grappling hook and swinging away.

"Great job Em." I muttered to myself before turning my attention back to the boys. "Come on, let's get out of here."

____________

(Next morning)

I leaned against the doorframe of the guest bedroom, watching the two boys sleep peacefully.

The younger one that Dick captured last night Haden, was curled up by the headboard with his head of sandy blond hair propped up against a pillow. Cain the older one was sprawled out by the foot of the bed, with his head and right arm hanging off the edge.

I heard the balcony door slide shut and knew Dick was finally back. I felt horrible for what I had said and glanced at the boys one last time before shutting the door and heading into the living room.

"Dick... I'm really sorry for what I said. I didn't mean to hurt you I-" my voice cracked and I glanced down at the floor.

Jeez apologizing is harder then I remember...

"It's fine Em." Dick said walking up to me.

"Really? Your not just saying that right?" I questioned looking up at him sceptically.

He chuckled lightly and shook his head. "I'm serious. And you were right about taking the boys in."

I furrowed my eyebrows in slight confusion and followed him down the hall.

"What? You were so against it like five hours ago."

"Yeah well I was taking to Jason and the others and they made some good points."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Like you won't be able to go out on missions anymore cause you'll be watching them." he said with a triumphant smirk.

I opened and closed my mouth before crossing my arms over my chest. "Well played Grayson."