Chapter Twenty Five

((Emma's POV))

I followed Thalia down the long corridor with Damian by my side. I glanced over at him but he kept his gaze forward and focused.

My head was filling with thoughts and worst case scenarios as we approached the large wooden doors.

Guards standing outside heaved the doors open to reveal Ra's al Ghul and Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke standing next to him. I've fought him with the young justice league once and it didn't end very well for most of us.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a small step forward as Thalia said my name.

Ra's looked me over while Slade kept his hand on the hilt of his sword ready at any moment to slice my head off.

Please tell me he doesn't recognize me.

"So your the newest member of the young justice team. It must have stung when none of them came to your rescue."

Well I guess he does now.

"I sacrificed myself." I retorted not even caring how he figured out who I was so fast.

"Yes a very noble thing to do. Too bad it went to waste." Slade said with an obvious hit of amusement in his voice.

"What do you mean?"

"The boy's dead Emma. Nightwing is dead." Slade replied.

I felt my heart shatter and it took all of my might not to collapse in a fit of sobs. "I-I don't believe you."

"It's true my dear." Ra's said drawing my attention back to him. "And your so called 'friends' didn't save either of you. They would have let you drown like the boy if Thalia hadn't found you."

I shook my head frantically as tears welled up in my eyes. "No! Your lying!!"

"Think what you must, but remember who saved you." Ra's said before leaving the large room with Slade and Thalia following after him.

I let myself fall to the ground when the doors closed and sobbed into my hands.

"No! I-I did it to save h-him!"

After what seemed like hours, I felt a hand on my shoulder and glanced up to see Damian looking unsure of what to do.

"I think what you did was heroic, if that means anything."

I tried to give him a small smile but failed miserably at doing so and faced the floor again.

He knelt down next to me slowly and kept his hand on my shoulder.

"I talked to mother and she said if you passed the test you could stay here with us."

I shook my head and glanced back up at him. "I'm not even able to end my life, so how would I be able to end another's?"

"I'll train you." he offered not exactly getting my point.

I shook my head again. "I can't Damian. I don't belong here. I could never kill someone."

"Not even the clown that killed your brother and Dick?"

His words made me freeze and look up at him. "How'd you-?"

"Just answer."

"...I-if I had the chance? Yes. I-I would kill him." I choked out honestly. "He deserves death."
___________

((Nightwing/Dick's POV))
(Blüdhaven Three years later)

I walked silently down the emptying sidewalk as everyone ran for cover from the rain. I on the other hand accepted the downpour and let it wash over the still existing pain of loosing the only person I truly loved.

I've been told to move on dozens of times and I've tried but every little thing a girl does reminds me of Emma.

Smirking, teasing, comebacks, rolling of the eyes, everything just makes my mind wonder to her.

I unlocked my door and took off my soaking wet jacket, tossing it to the side. My answering machine was flashing and I hit the button on my way to the kitchen.

'Hey Dick it's Artemis just wanted to call and check up on you. The others and I haven't heard from you in awhile and well... We're kinda worried about you, especially today since... well you know-'

I threw an apple at the machine making it delete the message. I ran a hand through my hair and let out a shaky breath before heading into the living room.

I turned the TV on and started flipping through channels when a news report caught my eye.

'Witnesses say they saw the masked assassin fleeing the scene shortly after the massacre with an unknown accomplice.' I hit pause and focused in on the image in the top right corner of the screen.

Deathstroke. What the hell is he doing in Blüdhaven?

I turned the TV off and headed into my room to change.

Looks like it's going to be another sleepless night.

_______________

'Nightwing it's Superboy. We're in Blüdhaven and we found Deathstroke but we need your help, he's got someone with him.'

"Where are you?"

'Down by the docks.'

"I'm on my way." I replied before revving up my bike again and turning around. I floored it and headed straight to the docks.

Is isn't going to end well.

As I approached the docks I could already see people fighting and objects being destroyed, the only thing is I didn't see Deathstroke.

I quickly jumped off my bike and scaled the shipment containers that the team was on.

When I reached the top I nearly got thrown off by Wally crashing into me. I shoved him off of me and glanced over at the person they were fighting.

It was a girl dressed in a black jumpsuit with a small white star that rested on her chest and a white eye mask concealing her identity. She had several belts going across her body that held various weapons and her long brown hair was tied back tightly in a high braided ponytail.

Aqualad rushed at her with his water swords but she easily blocked him with her own set of katanas.

She smirked and manoeuvred her swords so that she had his trapped. She head butted him and kicked him in the stomach knocking him down.

She twirled her katanas in her hands glanced around at all the collapsed bodies. Her gaze landed on me and her swords clattered onto the container.

"...Dick?" She whispered my name quietly and I looked at her with confusion. "I thought you... they told me..." she stammered.

I took a step closer to her and readied myself incase of a sudden attack.

She reached up and to my surprise took her mask off. I instantly dropped my fighting stance and stared at her in utter shock and disbelief.

"E-Emma?"