twenty two

Charlotte let out a sigh as her alarm blared signaling that it was time to start getting ready for shift that day. She got out of her bed and saw the crumpled up piece of paper that had been mailed to her in the corner of the room. Charlotte felt her heart drop realizing that receiving that letter wasn't just a dream that it was reality. She truly didn't want to reply to the letter so she dismissed it and continued on with her normal routine. Today was going to be a long day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte was quieter than normal, lost in her thoughts as she was listening to her friend's conversation. "I don't understand. So, she's a detective, but she's coming back to patrol? Is that allowed?" Lucy questioned.

"Well, it's not unheard of. Actually, I've never heard of it," Jackson stated.

"Lucky me," John muttered.

"Well, I've been through a lot of T.O. mind games, and it's really not that bad. All you need to remember is to be absolutely perfect at all times," Lucy exclaimed.

"Thanks."

"Look, seriously, you are a great cop. You just need to keep being a great cop, and she'll see that. OH, rachel. I'll see you guys in there," Lucy said walking away from the three.

Jackson pulled Charlotte to the side, noticing her behavior was not the normal Charlotte's behavior, "Okay. What was inside that letter that you got last night? Clearly it's been bothering you," Jackson exclaimed.

"Nothing important," Charlotte told him, trying to walk past him but Jackson stopped her. "Jackson, I'm fine. That letter was not important."

"No, you're usually more talkative before roll call, but just now, you didn't say a word." Jackson stated.

"Jackson, if something's wrong I will tell you. But I'm fine and even if there was something wrong I wouldn't want to talk about it here," Charlotte said walking past Jackson and into the briefing room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte looked at Grey as he walked down the aisle, "We have a new Training Officer joining us this morning, Detective Nyla Harper..." Grey said, looking around. "Nyla?"

Charlotte's eyes widened as Nyla was talking to another officer. Grey went over to the glass and tapped on it and motioned for her to get into the briefing room. "What's up?" Harper asked.

"You're late for roll call," Grey stated.

"Oh, that's still a thing,"  Harper sarcastically asked as she walked in.

"Take a seat. As I was saying, Detective Harper just completed four years of undercover work. She has volunteered to bring her wealth of experience to the FTO program. Officer Nolan, I'm sure you'll learn a lot," Grey said as Harper walked around to take a seat across from where the rookies were sitting at.

"Looking forward to it, sir," John said as Harper raised her eye at John and then made eye contact with Charlotte who looked equally as surprised as she did.

"If you need anything, ask Lopez, Price, or Bradford. They'll bring you up to speed," Grey told Harper.

"Yes, sir," Harper said, taking her eyes off of Charlotte and back to Grey.

"All right, that's it. Be safe out there," Grey said.

Charlotte quickly got up and walked out of the briefing room, "Is she okay?" Lucy asked Jackson.

"I don't think she is..." Jackson said having a faint familiarity of who the new Training Officer was.

Charlotte found herself in a bathroom and placed her hands on the sink trying so hard not to cry with the memories flooding back to her. You see, she knew Nyla Harper but not with that name. She knew her as Olivia Branson who ran in the same circle she was in back in UCLA before she met Jackson. Nyla Harper knew her as Ben's girlfriend.