seventeen

"So let me get this straight, you and Nathan pulled over a judge the other day?" Wesley asked as Charlotte bit into her raspberry scone.

"Mmh, she was not happy about it. She tried to run but ended up arresting her," Charlotte said.

"Who was it?"

"I think her name was Martha?"

"Oh, I bet she was pissed," Wesley said.

"She was, but Nathan told her that she shouldn't have been speeding. It was great, you should have been there," Charlotte told him causing the two to burst out laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Because, you're a rookie, the bottom of the food chain. Nothing you think or say matters inside the department. Especial with the Chief of Police, who personally decides Talia's punishment," Jackson exclaimed after John told the three what was happening.

"Sounds a little harsh," John said.

"Harsh as it is, you got to stay focused on yourself right now. We got a six-month exam in the next week, and we got to ace it in order to move on to the next stage of our training," Lucy stated.

"Ugh, don't remind me. I'm already stressed as it is. That exam on top of Eddie's celebration party is stressing me out," Charlotte said, sighing.

"Stress for the exam or stress Eddie isn't going to finish the Academy in the last week of his training?" John asked.

"Both. Which reminds me, all three of you are invited to his celebration. He wants to meet you guys," Charlotte said as the four rounded the corner walking to the briefing room.

"Sweet!" John asked.

"His abuela's going to be making homemade tamales." Charlotte said.

"Oh, you got me at homemade tamales," Lucy said.

"You know you can always count me in," Jackson said, wrapping his arm around his best friend.

Charlotte smiled as John asked, "Wait, aren't we still riding with our T.O.s for another seven months?"

"Yeah. But we'll get more freedom," Jackson replied.

"And no more daily evaluations," Lucy added on.

"Otherwise, it's back to the starting line, and you're the rookie who got held back," Jackson said.

"Or worse," Charlotte said, shuttering at the thought of failing out of the program.

The four take their seats at their normal table and Jackson took out a pair of sunglasses and began to polish it, "Seriously dude?" Charlotte asked, shaking her head.

"What's with the glasses?" Lucy asked

"Uh, I realized I need to start having more fun with the job, stop taking everything so seriously," Jackson exclaimed.

Charlotte laughed  as he put the glasses on trying to look like a serious cop but he quickly took them off as Grey walked into the room. "All right, listen up. Got some bad news for our rookies. Thanks to Detective Jenkins being placed on the Brady List, the department is tightening the rules regarding the Field Training program. Bottom line: every recruit now has to complete the 'training and experience' checklist as a primary officer before they'll be allowed to take the six-month exam," Grey said, causing Charlotte's face to fall at the news.

"You got to be kidding. I don't let my rookies be primary until the second month," Bradford exclaimed.

"If our recruits experience an event, it shouldn't matter if they were primary. It's not fair to them or us," Angela said defending the rookies.