four

"You have no idea how much I look forward to these scones," Charlotte told Wesley as they were at their favorite local coffee shop before the two had to be at work.

"I think I do. That text you sent me saying you look forward for these scones more than seeing me wounded me," Wesley said, taking a drink of his coffee.

Charlotte shook her head at how sarcastic he was being. "How's work been for you? Any big cases?"

"It's been busy as always. And no just small cases recently. Waiting for you guys to arrest a big criminal so I can come in and take over that case."

"Well, it's been slow recently. You'll be the first to know with a big criminal case if we get one," Charlotte hummed out taking a sip of her coffee. "Have you gone out recently? Like on a date," Charlotte asked, catching Wesley off guard.

"No. I don't think I will for a while. Busy with work. You?" Wesley asked.

"Sad, there's a T.O. that I think you would make a cute couple with. And no. It's sad I thought I would be married by now and have kids..."

"You will. We both will. Here's to figuring life out together," Wesley said holding up his coffee cup.

"To figuring life out," Charlotte said toasting their coffees to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Everyone have a seat. Today is a special day for our rookies. 'Cause today we switch things up. That's right. Everybody's gets a new training officer," Sergeant Grey said causing Charlotte and Jackson to exchange a worried look with one another. "Nolan, you'll be riding with Officer Price. Nash, you'll be riding with Officer Lopez. West, you'll be with Officer Bradford. And Chen, you'll be with Bishop. But learning how to navigate a new T.O. is not your only challenge. By the end of the next shift, I expect every rookie to uncover something personal about their training officer, something they don't want you to know. This will be a test of your investigative instincts and you fortitude. Best insight will win a day off. Worst one handles Saturday night cavity searches. That's it. Good luck."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, what's Lopez like to ride with?" Charlotte asked Jackson as he was signing the paper to get their equipment for the day.

"You know I'm not gonna give you a head start Charlie," Jackson replied.

"How's riding with Price?" John asked Charlotte.

"You'll be fine. Uh, don't talk too much, he isn't much of a talker..." Charlotte told him.

"Tim's gonna eat me alive, isn't he?" Jackson asked Lucy as she walked up to the table.

"You? No. you're a rock star, a legacy who excelled at the academy. If Tim could create a cop in a test tube, it would be you," Lucy replied, causing Jackson to

"Unless he's gonna set out to dominate you and prove that you aren't all that," John commented, causing Charlotte to laugh.

"Is it too late to change my answer? 'Cause, uh, that... Oh, hey, what about Talia? Any tips to get on her good side?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Jackson's right, no head starts..."

A few feet from where the rookies were, the T.O.s were watching them prep for the day, "Is the kid really a rock star?" Tim asked Lopez.

"Jackson? Yeah. He's better prepared than any rookie I've ever had," Lopez answered.

"Screw prep. How is he out on the street?" Tim asked.

"So far, so good..." Lopez told Tim and then looked at Nathan, "What about Nash?"

"She's smart, I can give her that. What about Nolan?" Nathan asked Talia.