one

"I think I'm gonna be the first rookie to get kicked out on the first day," a nervous Charlotte Nash said as she took a bite of her scone.

"No you aren't Charlie, you're gonna kill it today," Wesley assured the girl as the two walked out of the cafe.

"Am I? Be honest Wes, on a scale of one to never, do you think I'll last today?"

"You'll make it. Trust me, you will be fine!" Charlotte let out a sigh as Wesley said that.

"You owe me a scone if things don't go well today," Charlotte said pointing at him as he shook his head as the two made their way to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte walked into the station and the officer up front gave her directions to the women's locker room and found an open locker where none other than Lucy Chen was standing next to it. "Thank God you're here. I'm so happy we all were placed in the same station," Lucy said, hugging Charlotte.

"Same here. I think I would have gone insane without you, Jackson or John," Charlotte said as she put her things into her locker and took one last drink of her coffee before having to throw it away.

Once the two got into their uniforms, Charlotte quickly pulled her hair up into a low bun and the two walked out seeing all the officers were going into the briefing room. "Charlie! Glad you made it girl." Jackson said, walking up to the two hugging his best friend.

"I had to get my weekly dose of Evers in before the first day. Plus I couldn't pass down a free scone," Charlotte replied.

"You should've told me it was on him. I would have gotten you to get one for me," Jackson said pouting.

"You never asked. Plus he said it was his treat since it was my first day," Charlotte replied with a smile on her face.

The three walked in and saw John Nolan was already in there. Charlotte felt all eyes were on them now, "I feel like a zoo animal in an exhibit," Charlotte muttered to Jackson as the two walked on the other side of the front row to sit down.

"I was gonna say that..." Jackson whispered back as she sat down between Jackson and Lucy.

"You know it Charlie," John Nolan replied, causing her to smile as the Sergeant walked in.

She felt herself stiffen as the officers in the room got silent and the Sergeant looked at the new rookies at his station. "All right, all right. Settle down. Settle down. So, okay, we got some new blood this morning. And some pushing the expiration date," Sergeant Grey exclaimed, causing the room to laugh. "Get up. After six months together in the Academy you've earned the right to be here. But you'll have to prove yourself to stay. The way we do things matters. Protocol and tradition are the metal from which every cop in this city is forged. Understand?" Sergeant Grey asked.

"Yes, sir," the four rookies said simultaneously. The Sergeant told the four to sit down and they did so.

"It's time to play the Training Officer match game. Our Contestants are... Lucy Chen, a hotshot who made her first arrest before clocking in for work. Legacy Jackson West, who broke all of his dad's records at the Academy. Charlotte Nash, who was one of the top recruits in her class. And John Nolan, who was before born before disco died. And the winners are... Officer Bradford, you get our hotshot. Officer Lopez, you get our legacy. Officer Price, you get the smart one. Leaving Officer Bishop to ride with the forty year old rookie. Now, here me. Today is your first day. Don't let it be your last. Forget the Academy and listen to your T.O.s. They'll teach you the way it should be done. That's it. All right. Be safe out there."

Charlotte looked back and saw an officer that was in his mid forties. She walked over to her T.O. and said, "Hi sir, I'm–"

"Charlotte Nash. Born in Minnesota, I know all about you Officer Nash. Let's see if you're as smart as everyone says you are," Officer Nathan Price said. He started to walk away from the rookie and turned around, "Come on boot. You need to grab our equipment!"