Chapter 15: Head Over Heels

It's difficult to explain.

Considering the fact that I got pregnant at 17 and had my son at 18, straight out of high school, there was little I could offer my baby at the time. All we had was what my parents could offer us.

Truth is it took some time for me to find a job, especially because I dedicated myself entirely to my son for the first six months after he was born. Richard's parents helped with some money, considering Charlie is their grandson, but what they contributed the most was in baby products and time spent with him.

It took me a while to get my bearings as an adult, fortunately I had parents who supported me - and my child - fully and never let me worry about money. They made sure I had everything I needed for the both of us. I love them dearly.

But there was no splurge, no money to spare. Every dime was accounted for. It was a simple life and I had no complaints, but let's just say I could have used some child support from Richard.

It is not a crime to be poor and again, my son was fed, loved and taken care of. He had toys to play with and juice to drink, but it was rough sometimes. I knew how much of a burden I was being on my parents, I should have been earning some money if I were Beta of the pack.

If I had a steady paycheck, I could have raised my son in much better conditions. I could have supported us both and not depend on my parents for everything, not that they complained about it, bless their hearts.

By the time I was able to find a good job, it took years. In the first year, I accepted whatever was available to me part time. I did what I could, from working at a grocery store to customer-service at the local mall.

When you have to think about your child, you take what you can get. When Charlie was enrolled in school, it got better. I could work full time and I did everything I could to provide for him. I repeat, Charlie was a happy child who wanted for nothing. But money was always tight in our household.

I just could not expect my parents to keep footing the bill for all my life. I felt embarrassed about it. I worked through it, I made an effort. Eventually, things got better for me. I was working as an assistant manager in a shop downtown where I lived. I had a good life for me and my son, just no money to splurge.

So, this situation with Stephano is freaking me out. Him making a purchase without asking how much it costs first and examining everything before buying something is a foreign concept to me. I never had that, not with my parents growing up and especially not now.

When I first met my mate, I thought I hit the jackpot because he is a handsome man with a steady job who initially seemed to be accepting of my son. I could never have imagined that I had hit the jackpot literally.

But my son is having a blast. Children don't really care about where the money comes from, they care about getting things. I mean, that someone buys things for them. Unlike me, Charlie is completely up for being bribed.

As long as he is the one getting toys and a new tablet, why should he worry about anything? I can certainly see from his perspective. The reason why he is getting presents is inconsequential. To him, the important part is to get gifts.

If only life was as easy as it is from a child's perspective...

As an adult, I know that nobody ever gives anything for free. Though in this case the agenda is clear to me. Stephano wants to win Charlie over. If my mate conquers my son, it would be that much easier to win me over. It's a no brainer.

It is not a particularly bad strategy, appealing to my son. I have never heard of a parent who thought that someone showing kindness to their child was a bad sign. Of course the quickest way into my heart is being good to my boy, I am a dad.