Chapter 14: Price Tag

I am worried.

Now that I finally found my mate, I should have everything I ever wanted. In reality, all that was missing from my life was a mate, so now I should be fulfilled. Right?

Well... my mate is running away from his baby daddy who just so happens to be one of the most ruthless and powerful Alphas of Oklahoma. Though he is not in mortal danger per say, his son is in peril of being kidnapped and that would be atrocious.

Carlisle was raped when his heat struck at 17 years old by a boy who never wanted him to be his Beta. It is profoundly disturbing for me to hear this tale, so horrific that I can barely repeat it to others.

I was not Phillip's choice for Beta, as we all know by now, he was forced to go with me by his father. We get along great now, considering how we started off long ago. But it was a journey for us to get comfortable and to trust each other, that's for sure.

Richard Lucas, the Alpha who is father to Carlisle's son, hasn't been able to produce an heir with his mate - making him practically the first Alpha in history to be incapable of having children (with his mate), even though technically he already has one. However, unmated children are not seen with kind eyes in werewolf society.

His entire pack expected him to have pups with his mate and therefore have them as the next in line for Alpha of the pack, but it appears the Goddess is not keen on deadbeat dads. There is no medical reason for him or his mate to not be able to have children, so that only leaves a higher power at play.

After his son turned 11 and shifted into a wolf for the first time - a very rare occurrence for males of our species - Richard got it into his head that he should take the child away from the only father he has ever known to raise him with his mate. This is so preposterous that only a person capable of raping a heat struck Omega could think of it.

Let me be clear, he did not have sex with Carlisle accidentally because of his heat. No, he waited for the opportunity and used it as an excuse to sexually assault him. He wasn't even in the room according to my mate. Why would you do this to anyone on purpose?

Why did he think it was okay for any individual to behave like that?

I understand it was such a horrible concept that people couldn't think it was in fact purposeful, that he acted the way he did just to ruin my mate's chances of becoming Beta of the pack. Who does that?

He should be punished by the Goddess indeed, but I am not completely sold on the punishment itself. However, I can certainly understand the irony of the situation. The one kid who he always ignored is now poised to be the only heir to the pack.

You have to keep in mind that Alphas are born, not chosen. It is a genealogy passed down from parent to child. It does not choose gender, but you need to have the genes to produce one.

Even so, it doesn't give him the right to try to kidnap Charlie from his father. When I told this story to my family on the night of my mating, my mom cried. She was appalled by this, especially as a fellow Omega. Every Omega from her senior class had some sort of trouble with their heat episode, though most of them were saved or rescued by Elliot Lockwood, the former Luna of the pack, Phillip's Omega father.

I had the happiest day of my life so far when I found my mate, but now there is a part of me that is dead worried about the possibility of Richard finding them here, even though I will do everything I can to keep that from happening.

I will stop at nothing to keep my mate and his son safe, but I am afraid of what would happen if they are found. If my mate is forced to run away again, what will happen to me? To us? What kind of future can we expect to have together?