Chapter 10: Too Little Too Late

This is not a fairytale.

For once, I didn't grow up being raised by a wicked stepmother. Both my parents are alive and well, they love me just like any parents would.

My father was the Beta of our pack. He is a very close friend to the former Alpha, so both of our families were raised together.

I had a very carefree childhood, but as soon as I was old enough to understand that my entire family are werewolves, my dad started grooming me to take over his position one day.

Wolf packs are dynasties. Sons and daughters succeed their fathers and mothers.

Slowly, I was convinced that this was my dynasty. I was meant to be the next Beta of the pack just as well as the Alpha's son would be the next Alpha.

We are the same age, Richard and I, considering our fathers were best friends we were supposed to be that for each other too.

Yeah, something happened on the way to heaven.

As soon as he first shifted into a wolf once he hit puberty, Richard and I started growing apart.

He formed new friendships, hung out with a different crowd. It was as if I wasn't werewolf enough for him.

I guess this is the part where I tell you I am an Omega. I was shorter than other kids my age, skinnier and a bit weaker. Not by choice and certainly not by the lack of exercise.

My parents never made such distinction. To them there are only werewolves and humans. Omegas are just a different breed, but it bears no consequence for them. No difference whatsoever.

But no matter what, Richard did not look at me like an equal. It was as if I was a pesky little brother even though we are the same age, as I said.

It's fine, we don't need to be best friends to be Alpha and Beta. At least, that's what my father used to tell me at the time.

But the older we got, the more Richard rejected the idea of me being his Beta. Some people got it in his head that me being an Omega was a disadvantage, a hindrance if you will.

As if us Omegas could not perform the duties of a Beta just because we are a little shorter. Seriously? *eye roll*

Knowing the uphill battle I had ahead of me, I trained the hardest. I worked day and night to become the best candidate for the job. My father wouldn't have it any other way.

But by the time we were 17, Richard was still adamant that I wasn't fit for the part. By then, he had his best friend set to take over my father's position.

He was dead set on the fact that me being an Omega was an impediment to take over as the next Beta. As if my breed was a disability. Goddess, I hate this tired and dated rhetoric.

Nothing would dissuade him of this notion. I tried to reach out to him, only to be made fun of by my effeminate traits.

I have no idea why some people confuse sexuality with masculinity. I am capable of being gay, effeminate and strong. My sexual orientation - and breed - has no bearing on my effectiveness as a warrior or my leadership skills.

I may be small, but I am fierce.

My dad worked the hardest just to get me ready, not that Richard appreciated our efforts.

I really tried to be his friend, if not at least his colleague. But nothing I ever did was enough for him, nothing at all.

It is really sad when people refuse to see you as their equal. Do I not shift into a wolf? Do I not have the same abilities as other werewolves?