Chapter 9: A Kind of Magic

I am good to go.

My bags are packed, my plane tickets are issued, I even managed to score a ride to the airport, which is three hours away from Regency Falls. We barely have a bus station, let alone an airport.

I mean, there are buses you can catch to and from here, but we don't have a proper station. There is a massive gas station near the city entrance used for these purposes.

I had time to reconcile with the fact that I am traveling alone and now I am okay with it. This is my life and I have learned to make the most of it. I will have a great time in California. Not to toot my own horn, but a man who looks like me can do well in West Hollywood. Or so I have been told.

I am actually pretty excited about it. Which is a complete 180 turn from the dread I felt when Thomas notified me that I had to use my vacation days. I was not in a good place then, but I am so thrilled about it now.

My parents have subpoenaed me to their house so I can see them before I leave, which I did. I love my mom and dad, that was no problem for me. I even said goodbye to my brother and his beautiful family.

I cannot believe my little brother already has a four year old. It boggles my mind sometimes, but he is 26. It's fair to start a family right after college, good for him.

Today is Friday, it's the afternoon. I decided to text Owen to see if he was available to see me tonight, have a proper send off since I only got together with him on my birthday. After that I learned some people started calling him 'the Beta's pet', I was so embarrassed by the whole thing.

But it's stupid of me to care about what people think or say. The only people I owe explanations are apprised of the situation and encourage me to be happy. Everyone else should mind their own business.

Since he is busy working, I imagine he won't answer until later but it's fine. I don't actually travel until tomorrow morning, so I am good for whatever tonight. If he chooses not to come see me, it'll be fine as well. Though I highly doubt he will refuse the opportunity.

Not to brag, but I took pretty good care of him last time around.

Iris, for one, cannot wait to see me off. I have been overworking her for almost two weeks now. She needs to do great to fill in my shoes as acting Beta. I am demanding, sure I am. I take my job very seriously - not to say that she doesn't, of course.

"You don't have to punch your time card, Beta. You can go home and rest now. It's five p.m." She advised me, anxiously. I am at the training center for the remainder of my shift, as always.

"You can stop now, Delta. You don't have to expel me from the training center. I won't demand anything else of you." I rolled my eyes in annoyance. It was cute the first time, but now it is annoying how badly she wants to get rid of me.

Iris smiled uncomfortably and I was not in a better place when her cellphone received an alert. She took it out of her pocket, read something and frowned.

"What? Did something happen to Clarissa?" I asked her, concerned about her daughter who is just 11 years old.

"No, it's nothing. My aunt just sent me a weird text." She replied, sounding puzzled about something.

"What does she want?" I questioned her, curious about it.

"She works at the mall downtown and she just attended to a man and his son who she never laid eyes on before, so she thinks they are rogues." She explained, causing a chuckle to escape me.

"A father took his son to the mall? Did she call Child Protective Services?" I snickered, barely concealing my laughter from the unusual situation. Iris glared at me for poking fun at this.