Let Me Drive

Poppy can see that Branch is visibly tired so she takes over for a while.

Poppy stared out the windshield of the Dune Huggy, lost in the white noise of the tires on the dirt road and the comforting feeling of Branch beside her in the driver's seat. It was always her favourite moment of the week when they were able to pack everything up and head to a small cabin to have a little retreat for themselves.

The quiet was broken by Branch yawning. "What time is it?" The teal troll wondered.

Poppy looked at the bright green numbers on the display. "Two-fifteen," The Pop Queen answered. "Do you need me to drive?"

Branch shook his head. "I'm ok – " he started, a yawn cutting off the rest of his sentence.

"Sure you are," Poppy teased.

"I am," Branch insisted. "I got a coffee at that last gas station, remember?"

The Pop Queen hummed in agreement, pulling the blanket more snugly around him. One of the things she loved about being on dirt roads like this was the silence. Quiet was so nice. She could hang out with Branch all day, but there was some ethereal quality about being together on a night like this with no one around. It didn't feel like anyone else existed, and Poppy breathed deeply, enjoying it.

The silence only lasted until Branch yawned again. The Pop Queen sat up. "Okay, pull over," she said.

"What?" Branch shook his head. "It's fine."

"Look, there's a rest stop up there Poppy pointed.

Branch grumbled, slowing down. The tires hummed a little quieter on the asphalt as he turned to Poppy. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"You're tired," The Pop Queen answered. "Pull over. Let me drive for a while."

Branch made the face he made whenever he knew Poppy was right about something but couldn't quite disprove him. Turning into the rest stop, he cut the engine and swapped places with Poppy.

"There you go," he said through another yawn. "Happy now?"

"You know it," The Pop Queen answered, starting the car and pulling back onto the dirt road.