𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 𑁍 8

"Green, wake up!"

Rose's eyes snapped open to see Matron standing over her.

"Come and get dressed, your carriage is waiting," she said.

Rose sat up and asked groggily. "Why? What for?"

"You're going to Highgate to be with your mother," said Matron.

Rose was in shock. W-what?

"I-I don't believe you," she stuttered as Harriet sat up behind her.

"Oh, believe what you like," Matron shrugged. "I'm sure there are plenty of other girls who'd be happy to take up the position."

"Rose..." Harriet's voice made her turn round and she saw the look of happiness and awe on her face.

She looked back at Matron. "This isn't a trick?"

"Do you think I have time to play silly games?"

A smile spread onto Rose's face. "I'm going to be with Ida?"

"Well, not if you continue to dawdle, come on!"

Rose got up immediately and got dressed excitedly. She didn't even- what was happening?

As she finished her small amount of packing, she went to Harriet. Both girls were crying as they hugged.

"Friends forever?"

"Friends forever."

As they pulled apart, Sheila called from the bottom of the dorm. "Well, go on! Don't keep Ida waiting!"

Rose said one last thing to Harriet, though. "Tell Will I love him, will you? And that I will find him again."

Harriet nodded, wiping her tears. "Bye, Rose Green."

Rose nodded. "Bye, Harriet Summers."

As she walked down the aisle in the dorm, Winterson smiled. "Say goodbye to Rose Green, girls."

"Bye, Rose!"

There was a load more hugs as Matron called from the door. "Come on, Rose!"

"Stay safe," Winterson told her as she got in with her own hug.

Rose couldn't quite believe this would be her last time in the dorm as she looked around it, not catching anyone's eye contact deliberately.

This was it.

She was leaving the foundling hospital.

The last thing she saw as she left was Harriet's smiling face, waving at her as she waved back.

"Anyone would think you wouldn't want to be with your mother! Come on!" Matron commented as they walked along the corridor.

"I do, I just-" Rose began. "I left my bonnet in the dorm."

Matron sighed. "Go and get it, quickly, and come straight back."

But Rose had her bonnet in her back pocket.

The real reason she was going back to the dorm was to tell someone something.

Something she had to tell someone before leaving forever.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

"Where's Harriet?"

Sheila was the only one in the dorm when Rose entered.

"She's in the laundry room, why?"

Rose sighed, getting her bonnet from her pocket and putting it on. "Because, I need to tell her something."