𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 𑁍 6

The constable and Winterson had clearly put it on hold for now. I mean, Rose knew that you couldn't be married at the hospital, or in a romance with anyone, but still, Winterson was getting more and more irritable by the day.

Take that day. The boys were doing drill when the girls walked past, and despite Will not looking at Rose (they hadn't really talked since the whole Vince debacle) Mathias definitely looked at Harriet, and caused a whole load of boys behind him to trip up.

The old Winterson would've concealed a smile whilst politely telling them to come along.

But this new Winterson snapped. "Girls! Hurry up!"

Rose sighed. She knew what was wrong with Winterson, of course.

She just didn't know how to fix it.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Rose knew that the boys were putting on an exhibition of building a cannon tomorrow, meaning she would get to see the boys, but she couldn't quite fathom any excitement for it, with Winterson acting how she was.

"We have to do something about her - she'll turn into Macclesfield," Harriet sighed as Winterson snapped heavily at Elizabeth before leaving the corridor.

"Well, she's heartbroken," shrugged Rose.

"Oh, Constable Clarke!" Harriet joked, holding her heart and acting lovestruck.

Rose scoffed. "Well, he can't exactly saunter in here with some flowers, can he?"

"I don't know, we could get him in here somehow," shrugged Harriet. "Say, something went missing, like Nurse Macclesfield's hat..."

"I'd like to know who stole her smile," said Rose, prompting them both into giggles.

However, Harriet had set Rose's mind to work.

She could get the constable in somehow.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

"Ooh, what's this?"

"Letter to Will, to meet me tonight," Rose said, over in the recipe-writing part of the kitchen again, writing a small, poetic note to Will. She figured their time apart had been long enough.

"There you are!" Cook's voice made Rose turn, seeing Ned and a couple other boys in the doorway. "These trays need taking up - no nibbling!"

"Ned!" Harriet hissed him over, and he came with not much prompting.

"Give this to Will," Rose said, folding up her small letter and holding it out to him.

Ned raised his eyebrows. "That all, Miss Green-"

"Give this to Will, please," Rose rolled her eyes at her brother.

Ned smiled. "Of course I will, Rose. That's all you had to say."

Rose rolled her eyes and handed him the letter.

As Ned left, offering his sister a small smile, Winterson snapped. "Rose, Harriet, the table will not set itself!"

"She's getting worse," Rose muttered.

"We need to save her," Harriet nodded.

"Yeah," Rose agreed.

She saw a window when Cook was talking with Sheila, and hissed. "Now!"