𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 𑁍 5

Rose and Harriet hadn't spoken in three days.

And it had been terrible.

But Rose was too prideful to admit it, and she always would be.

That morning was different, though, as Sheila was determined to interfere.

Waking up to a leak in the ceiling that morning because of the terrible storm that night, Rose and all the others were forced to strip their beds, and on the way to put their sheets in the laundry basket, Rose and Harriet were forced to make eye contact, which they quickly avoided again.

But then Sheila came over and said loudly. "Here, Harriet, let me help you with that."

"Oh, no, I can do it!" Harriet didn't seem very pleased with this, but she let Sheila help anyway.

"You know, I don't think you're a baby for not wanting to go to America," Sheila told her, loudly, again. "Maybe others would understand if they were your real friends."

"You don't have friends, Sheila, so how would you know?" Rose snapped irritably.

Before Sheila would reply, Macclesfield came in.

"Right girls! To the laundry room, chop chop! Green, report for kitchen duties."

"Er, just Green, nurse? What about me?" Sheila asked.

"Ah, day off for you," Macclesfield smiled. "Cook's orders, seems like she's doing you a favour."

At least that means I won't have to look at Sheila's ugly face all day, Rose sighed.

Then Macclesfield said. "Green, I hope you're feeling strong."

Sheila smirked. "This way, Harriet."

And, low and behold, Harriet followed her.

Rose tried to stop steam coming out her ears.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Rose stood in the pantry doorway, looking at around fifty sacks of the poisoned flour Ned had unveiled the other day.

"Every last sack removed," said Cook, beside her. "Then we've got to lug all the new stock down. Deliveries will be coming in thick and fast, not to mention usual duties."

Rose sighed. "This is impossible! And you gave Sheila the day off! Not to say I want to be with Sheila all day, but I would like a bit of help with this."

"Stop bleating on," Cook reprimanded her. "Keep your head down, and there might be a reward in it for you later."

Rose sighed.

"Now, no more talk," Cook said, as she left the room. "Get to it."

Rose sighed as she started to lift the heavy flour sacks.

This was going to be a long day.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Rose dumped another sack down outside, arms aching. She had only done about six at this point, but it was hard work, getting up the stairs, slippy from the bad rain last night.

"Everything in order over here?"

Mr Cranbourne's voice made Rose look up, but he was alone, no trail of boys behind him.