𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𑁍 7

It was a different kind of morning. When the bell got the girls up, they had been told to get dressed and stay in the dorm and await further instruction, rather than going to do laundry.

It was nice for Rose, to just sit and talk with Harriet, and forget where she was and what had just happened.

But, of course, that didn't last.

"Quieten down, girls! I have an announcement!" Matron called as she walked into the dorm. "Lady Asquith's butler will be paying us a visit today. He will be setting you a number of tasks, and the girl who shows the greatest aptitude will be awarded a testimonial."

"A what?" Rose asked, a little too loudly.

"Testimonial," Matron told her scornfully. "It helps you get a better position when you go into service. Lord knows you need it."

Rose wanted to roll her eyes as Matron went on. "I expect you all to try your best, and behave," she looked at Rose on that word, before sweeping out the room.

If she was being honest, Rose couldn't care less about a stupid testimonial.

"Great, boring butler, boring test," she rolled her eyes as she set about making her bed.

"We're all going into service, Rose," reminded Harriet. "Let's try and do well."

"Or," Rose grinned, grabbing Harriet's hands and dancing around the room with her. "I could get married and have three beautiful children and wear a hat just like Lady Asquith-!"

She stopped as she bashed into Sheila.

Things between Rose and Sheila had been... different, ever since Monica's death. Sheila hadn't bullied Rose since, and Rose hadn't had the heart to tease her either.

So Rose meekly went back to her bed, finishing making it in silence.

She didn't want to admit it, but she felt sorry for Sheila.

Well, she couldn't admit it.

But it was true.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Later, when the two were alone in the dorm, Rose went up to the girl.

"Sheila, I... I'm sorry about me and Harriet earlier."

Sheila was up at the windowsill, staring out the window aimlessly as Rose joined her.

"Monica wasn't your friend," Sheila said, turning away. "And it doesn't matter."

She walked off without another word.

And Rose didn't have enough comforting skills to follow her.

Besides, something out the window caught her eye.

A carriage was arriving in the courtyard, and from that carriage stepped a woman. But she- she had trousers under her dress and she didn't have a bonnet and she carried herself so elegantly yet she was so confident at the same time.

She shook hands with Matron, Mr Cranbourne and Colonel Brigwell, grinning at them.

Rose suddenly realised.

The girls were getting a visitor... so- surely it made sense for the boys to get one too.

And that must be who this woman was.