𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𑁍 5

"Remember, when you grow up, I'll be waiting for you."

"You promise?"

"I promise, Rosie. I'll never forget you. You're my borrowed sister."

Jake had said that to Rose, when she had been admitted to the hospital. And Rose had believed it.

She had waited and waited and waited for the day she could be saved.

For the day she could be free.

Because there was no freedom at the hospital. They were supposed to just fall into line, to forget.

But Rose didn't forget.

"Picture us a story, Rose," Harriet whispered to her, during a particularly boring sewing lesson.

"Tell us about the squirrel house!" Mary smiled.

"Again?" Rose asked, having told this story a lot of times.

"I like that one."

"Alright," Rose shrugged, turning when she heard some noises from across the way and seeing Sheila and Monica fake yawning, Elizabeth laughing.

Rose rolled her eyes, turning back to Mary. "It was a hollow tree in the woods, but for me and Jake, it was our own enchanted kingdom. A place we could be free."

Rose smiled as she was transported further into a memory, one that she would never forget.

"I wish we were really squirrels," Rose told Jake, as they sat in the squirrel tree. "Then we could run away, and we could live here together."

"And that's what we'll do! As soon as I'm old enough, I'll come to the foundling hospital and bring you back home," promised Jake.

"And we'll live here? In the squirrel house?"

"Yes!"

Rose looked at him. "You won't tell anyone about the place, will you? Promise?"

Jake held out a hand and she shook it.

"Promise."

As Rose finished her story, Sheila said loudly. "As if he'd remember that silly game."

"Wait and see," Rose said irritably. "One the day I get out of here, he-"

"On the day you get out here you'll be a servant like the rest of us," snapped Sheila.

"No I won't, Jake promised," Rose retorted.

"Really?" Sheila raised her eyebrows.

As the bell rang, Macclesfield shouted. "All older girls proceed to the dormitory immediately! We need your help with the new admissions!"

"Off you go, girls! Be kind to the new little ones!" Winterson added.

Rose sighed, helping with new foundling arrivals was probably her least favourite job, even worse than sewing. They were always crying, moaning, or very, very defiant.

"I hope they don't cry so much this time," Polly muttered to Rose up in the dormitory.

"I hope they do," Sheila said behind her. "We should be on our recreation, not looking after those brats."

"Get off me! Get off me!"

"Oh, be quiet, you little spitfire!"

"That horrible Matron cut my hair off!"