𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𑁍 6

When the bell rang that morning, the first thing Rose noticed was a lingering tension in the room.

Blanche had toffees, and had offered them to Elizabeth and Sheila, but not Monica.

"Trouble in the she-mob," Harriet murmured to her from their beds across the room.

Indeed, Monica was now sitting on her bed, watching jealously as Sheila and Elizabeth talked and laughed with Blanche.

She sighed. "Come on, I need to get to the kitchen."

𑁍𑁍𑁍

She and Sheila were just taking a milk churn up to Stan when she saw Will with him, unpacking the fresh milk.

"Morning, Stan!" Rose said to the man, before saying. "And hello, Will."

"Hey, Rose," Will grinned.

"Morning Rose, Sheila," Stan said. "I was passing the baker's this morning, happened to find some fancy cakes at two a penny and I thought about those girls that always brighten my morning with a smile."

He held out a nice baker's box and Rose smiled as she opened it, revealing two nice cakes with a cherry each on top.

"Thank you, Stan," smiled Sheila.

"Thank you!" Rose grinned.

"Hey, what about me?" Will asked. "I've been carrying these churns in for ages now!"

"You can have this," Rose plucked the cherry off the top of her cake and passed it to him. He took it off her hand, both giggling as he ate it.

"Does your employer pay you to flirt, boy?"

Looking round, Rose saw a man in dapper clothes with a round belly, showing off what looked like a new top hat.

Will frowned at him. "Wha-?"

"Don't speak unless spoken to," the man interrupted him. "And you," he looked scornfully at Rose and Sheila. "You of all people should refrain from talking to young men, lest you end up like your mothers."

Rose started forward. "How DARE you-!"

"Rose," Will's hand on her shoulder stopped her, and his soft murmur.

Sheila took a chance in the silence to say. "Uh, yes sir, sorry sir. Can I help you, sir?"

"Mr Overton," said the man. "I have an appointment with Matron Bottomley and Colonel Brigwell."

"Uh, this way, sir," Sheila said as she led Overton inside.

Once they were gone, Rose began gathering up the bread in Stan's delivery, only stopping when he leaned over and said. "What's old Overcharge doing here?"

Will scoffed slightly at the name.

"I don't know and I don't care, he had no right to say that," Rose seethed. "Who is he?"

"The most expensive painter and decorator in this part of town," said Stan.

Rose sighed, gathering up more bread.