𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𑁍 7

Rose was bored and annoyed. She was stuck on cleaning duty with Sheila and Mary. Mary was good. But Sheila was worse than she was better.

The trouble started when Mary had a bucket in her hands, and Sheila stuck her mop out just a little bit too far.

"Argh!"

In a splash, Mary was on the floor, the dirty bucket water all over it as well.

"Now look what you've done!" Sheila shouted, roughly pulling the poor girl up. "Mop that up!"

But Rose stepped in between them. "Don't you dare," she said to Mary, taking the mop she now had, and shoving it in Sheila's direction. "You did this! You mop it up!"

Unfortunately for her, she had banged the mop on the floor face up, so when Sheila took it, it gave her the perfect opportunity to shove it in her face.

"Stay out of this, Green-"

"Argh! Get off me-" Rose shouted as Sheila continued to wipe the dirty mop in her face.

"You need a good wash! Might get some of the green out of your eyes-"

"I said GET OFF ME-" Rose yelled, siezing the mop and turning it on Sheila, knocking her over and also shoving it in her face.

"Argh! Argh!" She let out a high pitched scream. "Ar-"

"What is this ungodly noise?"

When Matron and Macclesfield walked in, Rose quickly took the mop off Sheila and let her stand up.

Sheila spoke first. "It was Rose Green! She pushed the mop in my face!"

"She shoved it in mine first!" Rose shouted.

"So you are both to blame," Matron snarled. "I will not tolerate such infantile displays of wilful temper!

Rose and Sheila looked down as Matron nodded to Mary. "You clean this up."

Rose reluctantly handed her the mop as Matron dished out her fate. "Nurse Macclesfield, take these two to the infirmary."

"Yes, Matron," nodded Macclesfield, walking forward and siezing the backs of Rose and Sheila's dresses.

"We're going to be nurses?!" Rose exclaimed as she was walked past Matron.

"You're hardly fit to bare that title," Matron snapped back. "No, you'll be skivvvies. You will fetch, carry, work all day and late into the night until you learn the virtues of hard work, discipline and humility."

"Yes, Matron," the two girls murmured before they were marched from the room.

Rose rolled her eyes.

Great.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

"Stop it-"

"Get off me!"

"Get in there!"

So Macclesfield pushed a shouting and squirming Rose and Sheila into the infirmary, to a confused Nurse Winterson.

"Rose? Sheila? Are you sick? What's wrong?" She asked warily.

"Nothing," Macclesfield answered. "Well, nothing a good dose of hard work won't cure. Don't spare them and be sure to put them in their place."

Winterson nodded, finally getting why the girls were here. As Macclesfield left she said. "Nurse Ormsby, Nurse Green, I look forward to working with you."